8 8
qblueRed42

nvidia jetson nano

I pre-ordered mine, so is it safe to say all GPU/VPU functions will work perfectly out of the box?  Ie. VLC/Youtube browser/desktop acceleration?  ARM GPU/VPU is such a pain...

C'mon guys. I still need to Order the Odroid N2 and you're pushing this in my face. :D

It's a nice board. I love the heatsink. I'm so very interested in knowing how much weight those A57's can lift. And that GPU is a monster on an SBC. Would be awesome if that could be used by Blender or a video editor.

1 hour ago, jmandawg said:

so is it safe to say all GPU/VPU functions will work perfectly out of the box?  Ie. VLC/Youtube browser/desktop acceleration?  ARM GPU/VPU is such a pain...

You'd hope so. It's their own gpu, so they should be able to write decent software. But I don't know, it's still a development board.

That googly thingy is also very sexy. But less useable by me.
afbeelding.png.076f0cbcd70cfba943ec16389680382d.png
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/03/04/buy-google-edge-tpu-coral-development-board-usb-accelerator/

Now the heavy work has been done by the small boys, the big ones come out to take things over :)
I'll need to earn a bit more money if I want to be able to buy it all....

(edited)

Just a quick note for those wondering the A57 cores are the predecessor to the A72 and A73 cores not the successor to the A53 cores.

that is the A55

The Amlogic s922x with it's 4 A73 and 2 A53 cores in the odroid N2 should be better at CPU workloads compared to the 4 A57 cores on the jetson but if you need a good GPU over anything else then i think the jetson is the one to go for.

Edited by qblueRed42
more information added

24 minutes ago, qblueRed42 said:

Just a quick note for those wondering the A57 cores are the predecessor to the A72 and A73 cores not the successor to the A53

No it's notL. It's the successor of the A55.
isn't that a bit very obvious? I don't think anyone on the Armbian forum would have doubted on that :D

i am not to sure about it using micro usb for power but there's is the option to use a barrel jack for power.

3 hours ago, jmandawg said:

Anyone get one yet?

I got an email that mine will be a bit late, so they're throwing in a power supply and SD card...  :rolleyes:

Looks like Nvidia had no idea what they were about to experience when they set that price point.

I find it strange that nowhere on the NVIDIA website can be found that it runs Ubuntu.
Not in the downloads.
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/downloads

Not in the download discription of Jetpack
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack

Not in the "getting started"
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/get-started-jetson-nano-devkit#intro

Not on their specs site
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous-machines/embedded-systems/jetson-nano/

Type NVIDIA Jetson Nano ubuntu in google and you don't find any NVIDIA page.
I truly can't find anything where it's written that it runs Ubuntu desktop that's written by NVIDIA, or even about Linux. I know it runs on it, I've seen people use it. Am I paranoid? Am I overlooking something? Or what is going on?

(I still want it badly, and I don't know why)

1 hour ago, jmandawg said:

Doesn't sound too promising so far:

I mean, that truly doesn't say anything, does the VLC player or Kodi have support for the Nvidia hardware?

8 hours ago, NicoD said:

(I still want it badly, and I don't know why)

Take a look at this video, it looks like mod Ubuntu by nvidia. (I select the time of booting)

6 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

I mean, that truly doesn't say anything, does the VLC player or Kodi have support for the Nvidia hardware?

True, I guess i was expecting "apt-get install vlc kodi".  My expectations were too high i guess. 

Hopefully you get yours soon.

(edited)
11 hours ago, NicoD said:

I find it strange that nowhere on the NVIDIA website can be found that it runs Ubuntu.
Not in the downloads.
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/downloads

Not in the download discription of Jetpack
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack

Not in the "getting started"
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/get-started-jetson-nano-devkit#intro

Not on their specs site
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous-machines/embedded-systems/jetson-nano/

Type NVIDIA Jetson Nano ubuntu in google and you don't find any NVIDIA page.
I truly can't find anything where it's written that it runs Ubuntu desktop that's written by NVIDIA, or even about Linux. I know it runs on it, I've seen people use it. Am I paranoid? Am I overlooking something? Or what is going on?

(I still want it badly, and I don't know why

they for some reason don't call the os Ubuntu.

but you can  get it here. but it's big at about 5.3gb

the Ubuntu image also appears to use unity for it's desktop environment but it could be gnome.

Edited by qblueRed42

2 hours ago, manuti said:

Take a look at this video, it looks like mod Ubuntu by nvidia. (I select the time of booting) 

I know. I just find it strange NVIDIA doesn't want to call it Ubuntu.
They are also using Ubuntu Desktop which runs just awful on any ARM device. First thing I'd do is install Mate Desktop.

2 hours ago, jmandawg said:

True, I guess i was expecting "apt-get install vlc kodi".  My expectations were too high i guess. 

It isn't a media center. For that they want you to buy the NVIDIA Shield TV. So don't expect to have good media options.
For that you'd be better of with an Odroid N2 or RK3399. Of course you could use it for a lot more than what they want you to. It's going to have to be the community making things happen for media stuff/gaming/... I think.

On 3/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, qblueRed42 said:

Looks interesting especially for people doing gpu based workloads.

And nvidia have a linux distro for it

On my "to-do" list... just busy with other stuff at the moment.

Note that nVidia's BSP is really weird based on previous experience...

I received mine today. It definitely uses Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop as the basis for the official image. I want a server image and my first attempt at just using the ARM version of Ubuntu server did not appear to work.

1 hour ago, datsuns said:

I received mine today. It definitely uses Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop as the basis for the official image. I want a server image and my first attempt at just using the ARM version of Ubuntu server did not appear to work.

At least it's SDCard based - so apt update/upgrade won't cause a lot of time-wastage, unlike the earlier nVidia dev boards.

I think this is a very interesting device, and a lot of potential - I just can't spare time right now to do it justice with work stuff in hand...

First impressions of Jetson Nano. Interesting iron, with good potential. But for full support in Armbian will need to work. But I hope that the result will be interesting. :)

On 4/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, sfx2000 said:

On my "to-do" list... just busy with other stuff at the moment.

Note that nVidia's BSP is really weird based on previous experience...

Pulled the trigger and ordered one...

Arrow and Amazon were sold-out, so ordered direct from nVidia - should be here sometime next week...

Hopefully have some time to play with it - busy up to my elbows with jobby-job stuff right now, and that needs to get done...

3 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

Pulled the trigger and ordered one...

I did as well, but a while ago and through Seeed, so we'll see if I ever get it, they're backordered apparently/

8 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

@manuti I keep a fire extinguisher nearby whenever I review Nvidia hardware too!  :lol::ph34r:

Just makes me think of a quote from Jaws (applicable to power)