8 8
qblueRed42

nvidia jetson nano

On 8/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, dimtass said:

This is the yocto recipe that makes the kernel:

With the core for Jetson Nano managed to understand. Now it's going in the environment Build-Armbian. And even manages muster the standard image with this nucleus (from two standard for TV boxes partitions). Now need to try to deal with u-boot, but its structure is very non-standard and not the fact that it will be possible to build it by the current means of the build system.

For sources thank you, they very help. :)

On 8/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, dimtass said:

This is the defconfig file for nano (tegra210):

I built a kernel from your sources with this config. The system starts normally, but HDMI does not work (in the log there is an error message with HDMI). If I replace in the image only the kernel file "Image", on the option from the working system, HDMI works without problems. Question. I tried to compare the config (which is used to build a working kernel) and your config, I do not see any significant differences. Do you have a working yocto image and how does HDMI work in it ?

I have build new images 20190927 Armbian for Jetson Nano using the build system Build-Armbian (the process of obtaining new images is now automatic). But there is one problem that I wrote about earlier. The kernel assembled in the build system does not give an image to HDMI (the monitor is active but there is no image). I had to make a temporary hack, replacing the kernel file with a working one.

Request to those who have opportunity, test overall launch system on Jetson Nano.

Download new images, unzip, burn to SD card. Connect the SD card to the Nano and check the operation. By default, automatic partition expansion is disabled. After the initial configuration and login, you must run gparted and perform partition expansion to the entire media (when you start gparted, the request to correct the partition table, answer "Yes"). Or you can create your own additional sections for your own purposes and register their mounting in the settings (separate sections of HOME VAR, etc.).

@balbes150 20190927 doesnt boot for me, the kernel starts, I get a brief flash of kernel messages then the screen goes blank for 15-20 seconds. Then the screen flashes back on and just displays:

[0000.401] Invalid GPT Partition
[0000.495] Error is 1

I dont have a serial cable with me so I cant get any proper logs sorry

7 hours ago, qstaq said:

Then the screen flashes back on and just displays:

Before writing an image to the SD card, you must completely clear it of previous data (systems that you recorded for Nano) with the command (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/..... bs=64M).  Or you need to restore the GPT table on the SD card immediately after burning the image to the PC, for example with the command (gdisk).

I'm getting the same error with an L4T image so it's probably a broken SD card slot on my Jetson and nothing to do with your image. I'll try again when I get home on Monday with a different Jetson nano and where I can access the serial console

2 hours ago, qstaq said:

I'm getting the same error with an L4T image so it's probably a broken SD card slot on my Jetson and nothing to do with your image. I'll try again when I get home on Monday with a different Jetson nano and where I can access the serial console

Did you clean the SD card before burning another image or fix the GPT with the "gdisk" command ? This is a known GPT table problem (when writing different versions of images with different GPT table data to the same media larger than the image size). At such record, at the end of SD card, there is always an old GPT table and does not allow to work correctly to the loader u-boot. I think your Nano is fine. The problem in the GPT table, after recording the image correct it, or before recording completely erase (zero) the contents of the SD card. I myself observed the same message and the lack of startup Nano, after fixing the table, everything starts to work fine with any SD card.

Yes I did, its 100% not a GPT issue. My image burning script does the following before writing an image to SD or MMC:

sgdisk --clear $BLKDEVICE
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$BLKDEVICE bs=1m count=32

Ive also dumped the partition table and examined it and all is as it should be:

dd if=/dev/sdh bs=512 count=32 skip=2 > partition-table.bin

We have had 6 (now maybe 7) Jetson Nano's fail with broken SD card functionality which is disappointing, especially as NVidia has refused to honour the warranty on any of them! Something everyone needs to be aware of with the Jetson Nano developer board is that if you are using the board to do real work in a production environment then NVidia invalidates the warranty for the device. NVidia essentially considers the device a toy and not for any type of production use. I am aware of the production boards but they also have their own unique problems

partition-table.bin

12 hours ago, qstaq said:

bs=1m count=32

This does not nullify the backup of the GPT table at the end of the media. Again, to completely clean the media, you need to erase the second part of the GPT, which is at the end of the media (after burning the image, the second part of the GPT remains from the old system). The Nano bootloader is blocked if the first part of the GPT and the backup at the end of the media do not match. Or you need to immediately after writing the image to the SD card, on a PC, to restore the second part of GPT (which is at the end of the media) utility gdisk, ie synchronize the first part and the second part together. Only after that, you will be able to start the system from this SD card. You have studied the GPT which is at the beginning of the disk, it is correct. Again, the problem is not in the GPT table, but that after writing the image to any media where there was another GPT, does not match the GPT table at the beginning of the disk (from the written image) and its backup at the end of the disk (which after writing the image remains from the old system). You will complete my recommendations completely and you will see how the system (which you consider broken) will work.

Hi @balbes150, sorry for late response, but I'm on long holidays and I'll be back in a couple of months. Currently my access to internet is limited.

Anyway, I can't test the HDMI right now, but in yocto recipes there are two kind of images/distros. The one is console only and the other is with graphics support.

Therefore, depending the image build you're triggering there are different things that are build in the background. That means that there might be some patches or a DT for u-boot/kernel that are different depending the image. Therefore, you need to find the proper build chain and add any extra configuration is needed.

I can't be sure if that's the reason, though, as I've only tried console images my self (with Yocto).

In the meantime, I will have access again to that hardware before the end of this year, but not any time soon.

@balbes150 Thank you for your detailed response but in this case the boards are faulty, NVidia's repair centre has confirmed with the first 3 boards we had fail and blamed it on high heat conditions that the boards were operating in. Modern sgdisk calls the equivalent of sgdisk --zap-all with --clear which clears both the start and end headers. The 32mb zeroing is not for gpt but to make sure we have wiped out any hidden u-boot or android data or partitions at the beginning. I have tried new SD cards and fully zeroing the entire card, it makes no difference

I'm new to Armbian / Linux and arm hardware in general but I've been working with GPT disks since AIX 4.2 and have a reasonable understanding. Unless of course GPT is different under Linux or Arm, in which case my assumptions won't work

Anyway I will try again when I get back from my work travels tomorrow with a known good board

Good news. Managed to solve the issue with building the core for Jetson Nano directly in The armbian build system. New images 5.98 on the site. :)

Are there Jetson Nano owners with built-in eMMC ?

I tried the Ubuntu Disco image and had the same results as the Debian Buster image.

The display does not recover after turning the monitor off and on.

Everything seems to work but I get a blank screen. Can't see anything.

well, its not a question, just reporting that I tried a couple of your images for the Jetson Nano and everything worked except for the fact that the display doesn't recover after turning the monitor off and on. It happens on my TV and my monitor.

The question would be. Is there a quick fix? or could you help me add another mode to the xrandr?

I noticed that when I shutdown the Jetson Nano, the display turns into textmode and I can see it again. So, I am thinking of making a script using xrandr to switch to a different display mode into order to reset the display.