My Journey with The Rock64

munocat

33 minutes ago, Technicavolous said:

I've been using Armbian on an XU4 for years and it is a great Desktop for me. I dual boot it with HK's Mate when I want to compare things. It's a conversation starter when I set it up at a demo in it's OGST game console case.

The C2 is a good desktop, great if you need 64 bit. but the XU4 has done better for me as my business desktop. (QB, Gimp, EMail, Web dev stuff)

I'm waiting for my N2 as well ... 

I also loved the XU4. I used it as second desktop/gamestation with a hdmi hub on my big hdmi of my pc. I used it when my pc was busy, and it did the job very well. Except Youtube playback.
But now the NanoPi M4 has surpassed it in every way. The biggest disadvantage the XU4 had for me was that it's hard to keep cool, it wasn't fully stable, and it consumes a lot. For those things the C2 was then again the best. It never overheats with it's great heatsink, and it doesn't consume too much.
The C2 has been my laptop for almost 3 years, and it still is. I thought the H6's (PineH64) might be a replacement, but the C2 still performs better than the H6. I do use it overclocked at 1.75Ghz + ram at 1104Mhz. So no other quad-core sbc could beat it yet.

The C2 is getting older, I hope Hardkernel will make a C3 with the s905x2 and 3-4GB ram. If the s905x2 is able to be cooled at 2Ghz that is...
Or a very well supported octa-core arm64 SBC that can be kept cool enough would be the best for me. I've got many octa-core's. But only the XU4 has good software support. Something with 2x A72 and 6xA53 would be awesome.  Even is it would be lower clocked like 1.7Ghz-1.3Ghz. (dreaming away...)

Also waiting for the N2. It's going to be long 2 weeks waiting. Good I've got enough other toys to keep me bussy.

4 minutes ago, NicoD said:

The biggest disadvantage the XU4 had for me was that it's hard to keep cool, it wasn't fully stable, and it consumes a lot.

Sitting here with no A/C yet, warm day, the fan comes on now n then but only since I put it in this OGST case. I've only crashed it with too many tabs open with Firefox ;]

I put the Sound Bonnet on it and made some cute speakers and that performs well for what it is. And it's been a heck of a server until I got a HC1. Never had the chance to play with an M4 but it sounds like a teddy bear for you like my XU4 is for me.

4 minutes ago, Technicavolous said:

Sitting here with no A/C yet, warm day, the fan comes on now n then but only since I put it in this OGST case. I've only crashed it with too many tabs open with Firefox ;]

I put the Sound Bonnet on it and made some cute speakers and that performs well for what it is. And it's been a heck of a server until I got a HC1. Never had the chance to play with an M4 but it sounds like a teddy bear for you like my XU4 is for me.

I use my sbc's a lot maxed out when doing rendering(so I can use my pc for gaming instead). I've got the big heatsink and a big 5V fan and I couldn't keep it under 90°C at stock clock. At 1.9Ghz it was faster than 2Ghz since less throttling, and 1.8Ghz it stayed under 90°C. It did get better with better thermal paste. But still 2Ghz was too much. With the M4 is can use a small 5V fan at 3.3V at 2Ghz/1.5Ghz and it's never throttled.
But it was an absolute beast when it came out, it stayed the fastest under $100 for long. (I so can't wait for the N2 :) )

OK, I got both the Le Potato and the Odriod C2, both was easy to get up and running, the potato power connector is very poor. 

I am loving the Odroid c2, very stable, great video play back will I am working.