XFCE in Spanish or any other language

Is not important, and is a topic related to desktop environment and I know that armbian is more a server OS than a dektop replacement ... but I'm stuck trying to have all the environment in my mother language, Spanish.

I change locale in root user and in the additionally created desktop user, I use 

dpkg-reconfigure locales

locales and also 

export LANGUAGE=es_ES.UTF-8

but after reboot is again in English.

And also when I update and upgrade the system I can see Translation-en logs but never a Translation-es.

Is there any chance to do a better localization of the Desktop Environment?

Thanks.

Armbian is based on 4 different 'basic distros' in the meantime. Trusty/Xenial based on Ubuntu and Wheezy/Jessie based on Debian. According to our documentation the necessary steps between both differ regarding localisation: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/documentation/user-faq.md#how-to-customize-keyboard-time-zone

So did you check that you used the method that applies to your OS variant?

Armbian is based on 4 different 'basic distros' in the meantime. Trusty/Xenial based on Ubuntu and Wheezy/Jessie based on Debian. According to our documentation the necessary steps between both differ regarding localisation: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/documentation/user-faq.md#how-to-customize-keyboard-time-zone

So did you check that you used the method that applies to your OS variant?

Sorry for been so imprecise, I'm using armbian on a OrangePiOne, with the only distro available today, Legacy in the the Jessie Desktop flavor: Armbian_5.05_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.110_desktop.zip

And I try to change locales in the proper way.

And I try to change locales in the proper way.

Thanks for clarifying (I do not know whether you use our build system enjoying Xenial with Armbian 5.07 or use an official test image). Can't help that much, but if I click on the link in our documentation the two steps outlined for Debian are in different order (for a reason) than you wrote. You've to define LANG prior to calling 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

I wrote in the wrong order but I set correctly:

export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8 export 
locale-gen es_ES.UTF-8 
dpkg-reconfigure locales

I try using root after a su command, but also I try using same commands with sudo (I hear sometimes work differently but maybe is an urban legend)

Where can I find the Xenial image for Orange Pi One?

In http://mirror.igorpecovnik.com/ I can seen an Armbian_5.07_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_4.6.0-rc1 but not a Xenial image.

Sorry for been quite dummy in English and GNU/Linux and thanks in advance.

Sorry, there is no official Xenial image available yet. As outlined in the 'geek FAQ' you need a 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 installation to build an image on your own. But I would wait for 5.10 instead.

Regarding the language issues I've no idea. But this is plain Debian and nothing related to Armbian. Maybe Jean-Luc's quick start guide helps: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/16/orange-pi-one-board-quick-start-guide-with-armbian-debian-based-linux-distribution/

Thanks a million.

Build my own image is not in my checklist today, I can wait for a 5.10 release, I normally use only Ubuntu LTS versions.

I know about the great Jean-Luc web and in particular the Orange Pi One articles, he have some troubles with keyboard configuration but not with the locales, or maybe he didn't try to change to French or another different language than English.

Finally is in Spanish, I don't know why the system refuse to change for the first time. The worst thing is that: I don't know what of the many files touched and changed things is the way to change the Desktop language.

---

Is there any chance to do a better localization of the Desktop Environment?

Thanks.

Hallo Manuti, for change Desktop Language to Spanish you must install more/other language Packs.

apt-get install task-spanish-desktop <- Spanish Desktop

apt-get install iceweasel-l10n-es-es <- For Spanish or iceweasel-l10n-all for All language packages for Iceweasel - Transitional package

after new installation Armbian, i installing additional packages:

apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils <- For exFAT formatted drive

apt-get install synaptic policykit-1-gnome <- Graphical package management / GNOME authentication agent for PolicyKit-1

apt-get install gvfs gvfs-bin gvfs-backends <- Mount/Umount Network Drive User Space

apt-get install gnome-system-tools <- Cross-platform configuration utilities

apt-get install task-german-desktop <- German Desktop for German user

Now, after Reboot my Desktop Language is change.

before that is changed , only the following must be done:

I hope it helps you, jti

Last clarification. After install do: 

sudo apt-get install task-spanish-desktop

If you have started with Jessie Desktop you end with a doubled screen because you have Lightdm and Nodm installed. I decided to remove the second one:

sudo apt-get remove nodm

I try to resume and retest all the lessons learned here and is not working, starting from a clean install I can't switch to a full spanish localized version. I can change and install addional packages but after every reboot finally I have: 

LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Any help? Any ideas?

I think, the step yielding successe on my Cubietruck was to edit "/etc/default/locale"...

#LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
#LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=de_DE.utf8

...and reboot.

I had generated the needed locale(s) before.

Alternatively this file can be managed by "sudo update-locale -reset LANG=whatever" but then reading it's man page  is a good idea.

In the end you always had in Spanish the system and the desk.

Manuti, al final conseguiste tenerlo siempre en castellano el sistema y el escritorio.

Yes. is completely and always in Spanish, the XFCE GUI and the Terminal. You can check here https://raspberryparatorpes.net/comandos/armbian-en-espaol/ but I repeat also just below.

The steps are:

1. Remove and reinstall the locales from the Terminal / console / CLI:

sudo apt-get purge locales
sudo apt-get install locales

2. Configure the locales choosing Spanish, es_ES UTF-8:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

3. Confirm that everything is OK using locale command:

locale
post-79-0-71040800-1481885850_thumb.png

If some line is not es_ES.UTF-8 you must change doing:

export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8

4. And after that regenerate the locales:

sudo locale-gen es_ES.UTF-8

5. And finally install the language pack for the common apps like LibreOffice and Firefox:

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-help-es libreoffice-l10n-es firefox-l10n-es-es

post-79-0-71040800-1481885850_thumb.png

• Igor unpinned this topic