Getting RTL8723BU 5G Wifi Working

Poincare

Armbianmonitor:

Didn't see anything from a search of the forums, so ... on a Rock64 with Armbian, I have compiled the 8723bu driver since it is missing. However, when this driver is loaded, only 2G wifi APs are visible.  I am trying to connect to a 5G wifi AP.  Other devices do not have a problem connecting to this AP. The Armbian install just can't seem to see it.  I see the usb wifi in iw and in iwconfig.  I'm just not sure how to get the usb wifi to connect to 5G when only 2G wifi APs show up.  I've tried the usb wifi in all three different USB ports, and in all cases it still can't see 5G wifi, only 2G.  

Is there some config file or manual command that I can issue that will support my wifi in seeing 5G wifi APs?  

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Poincare said:

Is there some config file or manual command that I can issue that will support my wifi in seeing 5G wifi APs?  

You are seeking help at wrong place - we don't support 3rd party hardware / USB wireless chips (and on 3rd party kernel). Contact driver vendor, driver maintainer, driver developers, ... https://github.com/search?q=RTL8723BU

4 hours ago, Poincare said:

Sorry for asking for help, bro. 

You received valuable hints how to possibly solve this problem. Armbian gave you opportunity to install the driver (working kernel headers), but if the driver is broken or lack functionality you want, there is nothing folks around - a few people that make Linux running on those cheap boards possible - can do about. Solving your problem would costs perhaps a hundred hours, perhaps way more? Perhaps "just" ten, but I can only afford to blow few minutes. I have to remind you that overall contribution from your side to cover your questions is far below 1%. Any relevant response you get is pure gold.

A recommended way of solving the problem is actually the best, perhaps the only way, besides hiring people to do the homework instead of you.