SOLVED --------Banana Pi, ssh, alsamixer and function keys

superpat

Hi,

I have installed Wheesy 3.4.108 on my Banana Pro.    connected to it using SSH from xterm on my linux box, did various housekeeping, set up user squeeze

Installed logitech media server works OK

Installled Squeezelite ---- needed to set up alsa,  ran sudo alsamixer,

Alsamixer ran OK but when I hit Fkeys on host machine  to select various alsa menus,  alsamixer terminates and  drops back to Banana pro CLI, obviosly F key keybindings are not what alsamixer expects.

Fails under both xterm and putty and on two linux host systems.

What do I do to make banana pro use the Function keys  F1-F6  to work as alsa requires?

I note that there are lots of problems about this on Google   (Function keys under ssh),  but cannot find a working solution for this case.

Help would be graterfully received

thansk, Patrick

Solution,

It was as easy as:-

On the Banana Pro ssh CLI

enter

TERM=xterm

All the Function keys in Alsamixer now work correctly

Duh!

P

Hi. I've recently also encountered this issue - on Cubieboard 2, Igor PeÄovnik's Debian 8 with mainline kernel, version 4.0 from 12.7.2015.

I noticed the misbehaving keys and non-functional mouse reporting and after a while of confused flailing around the google I tracked it down to the system not taking my terminal type into account when connecting over ssh (haven't tried what it does locally). No matter what terminal I use and what string I try to pass, "echo $TERM" still says "linux" (tried gnome-terminal, rxvt, mintty with various).

I've also tried installing Debian 8 into VirtualBox to see if it behaves the same - it behaves as expected, correctly eating my terminal type.

While the workaround of putting "export TERM=xterm" into .bashrc is sufficient most of the times, it still causes me trouble from time to time as I run for example this command: "screen -s mc" where screen on its own will again have the incorrect term type. So I guess I could try to find a way to cram this to all configs I need to have this but I'd rather have it set the terminal type automatically.

So, is this a bug or a feature and if the latter case, does anyone have some pointers as what to change? I tried to find some info on this but google keeps serving me answers to different questions using similar words.

Thanks