bpi-M5 vs static network

gene1934

New bananapi M5, no net.

initial boot and config failed, font missing characters would not allow me to edit networking entries.

rebooted it with the power cord, started x by hand, Menu's totally different from 2 previous installs on rock64's.

Finally found a terminal, and switched fonts in geany so now the keyboard is generally working. in geany, but not in armbian-config.

I have edited the /etc/hosts file to setup my static address network, fixed resolv.conf and chattr +i it so nm can't destroy it.

I have edited /etc/hostname but can't get it to  to "take".

ip a returns that eth0 is up but no ipv4 or ipv6  address can be seen

ip r return emptyhanded.

I can't even ping machines in the next room by address, no route

This is ipv4 country here in northern West Virginia, probably a hundred miles from the nearest net

connection that groks ipv6.

My router does NAT so everything here is in the 192.168.xx.yy block And it has no dhcp server running.

I've 7 other machines here that thanks to the NAT in the router, can tour this ball of rock and water with no hicups.

resolv.conf is identical to whats on 7 other machines here, and they all work just fine.

So how do I go about setting up a hosts file base local network?

Thanks much all.

Cheers, Gene

I went back into that room after posting this, and found it had locked up and blanked the screen, found the button beside the power connector and rebooted it.

Logged back in, did a startx then stumbled over another settings thingy so I reconfigured the networking and the network is all working now. I think.

SAfter the reboot, the fonts were ok and I was able to edit the /etc/hosts file and /etc/resolv.conf which i then rendered immune to NM and cohorts with a chattr +i,

Then I ran whatever acts like NM, set it up for static and it pings yahoo.com .

Set /etc/hostname to match the hosts file for that card and rebooted. And I finally found where to set the default desktop to xfce4, then took that u-sd to another m5 and edited the hostname, rebooted and its still working, running octoprint to drive a new 3d printer I got setup yesterday.

But despite installing ALL of the xfce4 stuff, the system won't change to it, and the screenblanker is still an instant crash switch, nothing will wake it back up.

This installer works, but leaves out stuff to allow another desktop that actually works to be switched to. Get rid of the graphical app launcher in favor of xfce4's menu's, and make the screen blanker work w/o killing an app the gui started.  There is no way in armbian-config, nor in settings to chose which desktop. I have no clue what I did to the first one I posted about to get xfce4 to work.

Oh, and a sudo reboot is actually a full powerdown, the power must be recycled to reboot it.  That also needs fixed.

Thank you for the helpful responses to other questions of mine.

Take care & stay well everybody.