hold firmware

Huey

Hi all,

In armbian-config I have freeze on firmware. I can see that armbian-firmware-full is kept back. Still my kernel got updated. Kind of an issue as I use zfs (backports) on my omv install and I need to reinstall them to get the module recreated...

Now I have a few questions:
Is it because I have only armbian-firmware-full held back, and apt works in my case maybe with armbian-firmware? (Or do I misinterpret the list that says upgradable on the full)
Or do I have to hold the specific versioned packages and will the armbian-firmware (meta?) package hold not work on the ones I have installed and get upgraded nonetheless?

root@rockpro64:~# apt-mark showhold
armbian-bsp-cli-rockpro64
armbian-firmware-full

root@rockpro64:~# apt list armbian-firmware*
Listing... Done
armbian-firmware-full/bullseye,bullseye,bullseye 23.02.2 all [upgradable from: 22.11.4]
armbian-firmware/bullseye,bullseye,bullseye 23.02.2 all

root@rockpro64:~# apt list linux*rockchip64*
Listing... Done
linux-dtb-current-rockchip64/bullseye,now 23.02.2 arm64 [installed]
linux-dtb-edge-rockchip64/bullseye 23.02.2 arm64
linux-dtb-legacy-rockchip64/bullseye 22.05.3 arm64
linux-headers-current-rockchip64/bullseye,now 23.02.2 arm64 [installed]
linux-headers-edge-rockchip64/bullseye 23.02.2 arm64
linux-headers-legacy-rockchip64/bullseye 22.05.3 arm64
linux-image-current-rockchip64/bullseye,now 23.02.2 arm64 [installed]

Tia

Hm, I retried with defreeze and freeze and now instead of armbian-firmware-full, the armbian-firmware got hold. For security I will also set again the armbian-firmware-full on hold... Better safe than sorry. 
Apologies, above happened on my rock64. Strange though: the rock64 image holds armbian-firmware, the rockpro64 holds armbian-firmware-full? Or is that because I added the headers as well on the rockpro64 and not on the rock64...?

Hm, tried to update packages and the firmware using armbian-config, and it updates the full. Is it possible that the omv (installed using armbian-config...) uses a different update strategy and uses the armbian-firmware NOT full?
Will set a hold on both to be sure... 

Edited by Huey

How did you set hold? Only via armbian-config? I ran into a same issue on my helios64. I have frozen firmware and kernel immediately after first install, executed the omv installation script and then did a update and upgrade via cli which resulted in an upgrade to the latest kernel which was not intended.

When doing a showhold it shows the "frozen items" correctly but apparently they were not taken into account when updating the machine... 

I set hold on both firmware packages on the commandline prompt. Until now no firmware updates, but not 100 percent sure it is why.

Still it is my hunch that the omv updates the one nót set in armbian-config.

Tried it on another machine and that seemed to confirm it though…