I2C does not work with official Armbian 23.02 image

dokw

Hello,

I have trouble activating i2c on odroid c4. There's a pcf8563 module connected to the board. Also, /dev/i2c-0 /dev/i2c-1 exist. But pcf8563 does not show up when I run i2cdetect. I can rule out hardware issue because both i2c and pcf8563 work well with Hardkernel's Ubuntu image. So far, I've tried the followings but they don't work:

• Adding overlay="i2cA i2cB" to /boot/armbianEnv.txt and reboot.
  • Manually editing device tree by changing status under "i2c@1d000" to "okay" and reboot.

Also, I remember that i2c used to work on older versions of Armbian, which come with older version of kernels. But since linux 5.19, i2c no longer works. So I suspect that some changes in kernel may break the i2c functionality.

I've uploaded diagnose info to https://paste.armbian.com/pevijojiwa

Please advise. Thank you.

Edited by dokw

I ran into this issue as well and tried to troubleshoot it. Looks like I2C and all that was moved out of the main device tree and into overlays after 5.10 and the overlays were never updated. Looking at the bootloader output shows the same errors as in this issue. I tried editing the device tree overlays like described there but no luck getting I2C going. In the end I ran out of time to look into it and just froze linux-dtb-current-meson64 at the 5.10 kernel version. That gets I2C going again and doesn't seem to have caused any extra problems so far.