Rock4 SE (or Rock Pi 4 SE) Device Tree Overlays do not look correct

GoGerriko

I have a Rock4 SE Board (or Rock Pi 4 SE) and I'm using the Armbian_23.02.2_Rockpi-4b_bullseye_current_5.15.93 Debian version.

(Linux rockpi-4b 5.15.93-rockchip64 #23.02.2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 17 23:48:36 UTC 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux)

I am trying to set up the correct Device Tree Overlay configuration for my intended application.

If I use Armbian-config as a tool to demonstrate the issue here.

image.thumb.png.90852267d8e4d15c7aebc2a8161e1de6.png

It starts by listing I2C7 and then I2C8. If I go to the Rock4 SE schematic and search for I2C8, it is not even setup as I2C:

image.png.560a0af48fa3b0eaae25d1220987240a.png

Then where is I2C6, for example. It's supposed to be there.

If I then look further through the list, it is using RK3318 files (according to Internet search, they are from same 3300 family of chips but the 3318 has 4 x ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.5 GHz cores). So are these correct.

I'm rather confused by these.

Could anyone explain.

Thanks

Colin

PS. If I enable spi-spidev and then set the spi parameter to 0 it references SPI0, which is linked to the Ethernet port. I don't believe this is correct behaviour.

The reason for this is that when setting it to 0, I cannot SSH into my board. When I set it to 1, I can. However when setting to 1, it shows the following (/dev/spidev1.0) when running

ls /dev/spidev*

Edited by GoGerriko

Hi!

I can confirm that for the Rockpi SE there must be some errors at least with the Device Tree Overlay.

I have the problem, that I can not boot the device from emmc using the latest image (f.e. Armbian_23.02.2_Rockpi-4b_bullseye_current_5.15.93).

The same image can however, boot successfully from uSD card.

I have tried several (archived) images from the past, none of them work correctly until the kernel version is ~ 5.10 and below.

For example you could try out Armbian_21.08.1_Rockpi-4b_bullseye_current_5.10.60, Armbian_21.05.1_Rockpi-4b_buster_current_5.10.35.img, Armbian_21.02.1_Rockpi-4b_focal_current_5.10.12.img

which I found to be working for booting the emmc.

I guess all those problems are related to the wrong device tree.

There was a change in the device tree overlay for the board in the kernel versions afterwards. There is also a thread about it in the forum - look at

Regards, erazer