Armbian hangs at boot because of fstab mount

jba

I am using an odroid HC2 as home NAS for some years now. Software is armbian/XU4 in debian flavour. At the moment I am running bookworm (which was updated from buster to bullseye and then to bookworm - I know its not supported but it worked fine. And the problem described here started only some month after the last update).

Some days ago I wanted to reboot the unit but it was stuck in the boot process. Not available by ssh or any other services. I then found out that the boot stopped because my hard disk could not be mounted from ftsab (while the sd card as root file system could be mounted). After commenting out the line it boots normally. And when logged in by ssh I can mount the hard disk without any problem.

As a workaround I put the "noauto" option in fstab and mount the drive after a sleep of some seconds from rc.local. That works fine but I am wondering what is causing the problem?

Has something in armbian changed so that mounting on boot time doesnt work anymore? Maybe some problem with initializing the sata controller?

Or is this a sign of degrading hardware?

Any hints welcome.

Juergen