iptables-persistent installed and active, but rules are not restored properly anyway

Go to solution Solved by gmc2000,

Hi all,

I'm quite puzzled by this. I installed iptables-persistent to be able to restore the iptables rules at start-up. Saved the rules to /etc/iptables/rules.v4 / /etc/iptables/rules.v6, then rebooted. But after boot, the iptables are empty.

Looking at the status of service netfilter-persistent, it looks like it has ran the scripts to restore the rules:

root@gateway:/etc# systemctl status netfilter-persistent.service 
● netfilter-persistent.service - netfilter persistent configuration
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service.d
             └─iptables.conf
     Active: active (exited) since Fri 2024-02-09 10:36:23 CET; 29min ago
       Docs: man:netfilter-persistent(8)
    Process: 334 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/netfilter-persistent start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 334 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 130ms

Feb 09 10:36:30 gateway.ow.sono netfilter-persistent[340]: run-parts: executing /usr/share/netfilter-persistent/plugins.d/15-ip4tables start
Feb 09 10:36:30 gateway.ow.sono netfilter-persistent[340]: run-parts: executing /usr/share/netfilter-persistent/plugins.d/25-ip6tables start
Notice: journal has been rotated since unit was started, output may be incomplete.
root@gateway:/etc# 

And when I manually run the scripts under /usr/share/netfilter-persistent/plugins.d, the rules are restored properly.

It seems something is flushing the rules again after they have been restored, but I have no clue what that could be. Is this NetworkManager perhaps? Something else? Is iptables-persistent not the way to go on armbian to restore iptables rules on start-up?

This is on Armbian 23.8.1 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.63-current-media (debian version 12.2).