Upgrading Armbian from bullseye to bookworm

Step 1 - Install the Armbian PGP key and update your APT sources

• Install armbian.gpg to /usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg  (mode 644)
    • You can use a copy from another one of your SBCs, or...
    • ... you can download and install like below (thanks @BrewNinja for the example)
touch /usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg
chmod 644 /usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg
wget https://apt.armbian.com/armbian.key -O - | gpg --dearmor >/usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg

• Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
    • Replace all instances of bullseye with bookworm
  • Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list
    • deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg] http://apt.armbian.com bookworm main bookworm-utils bookworm-desktop

• Edit any other files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d as appropriate, to replace bullseye with bookworm

Step 2

apt update

Step 3

NOTE - WHEN RUNNING THE BELOW COMMANDS, DO NOT ACCEPT ANY INTERACTIVE PROMPTS FOR CHANGING /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

• The default is not to accept the changes anyway - but I am noting this here to be extra careful
  • I've checked - the changes may differ from what armbian has in the latest images

apt upgrade --no-new-pkgs
apt full-upgrade
apt dist-upgrade

Just wanted to say thank you for the instructions, they worked really well. I can add that this is how I added the armbian.gpg to my install:

sudo wget https://apt.armbian.com/armbian.key -O key
sudo gpg --dearmor < key | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg > /dev/null
sudo chmod go+r /usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg

In the OpenMediaVault forums I reported Seemingly cannot update and upgrade anymore due to repository having no release file (OMV6 on Armbian on Odroid HC1)

• So if my OMV 6 with Armbian Bullseye both have not updated for a while, will this your instruction let me run apt update and apt upgrade again and also omv-upgrade?
  • Note: As omv-upgrade in OMV 6 did not work anymore, I thought to omv-release-upgrade to OMV 7 right away. But that upgrade script included an implicit omv-upgrade too. So failed too.

Hence I had then run an omv-release-upgrade (with its omv-upgrade line outcommented) which resulted in a broken system: Armbian seemingly up to date, but all OMV stuff gone or stuck in v6.

Now I would like to do things correct. Hence my questions regarding your steps:

• Ad 1)
    • a) From where shall I get that armbian.gpg file reliably? Is it cryptographically ok/safe enough as @BrewNinja did it? Note: Hobby NAS on a private LAN with no services exposed to the Internet, LAN only services) If ok, then please integrate into your instruction for TL;DR users. Thanks!
    • b)  /etc/apt/sources.list is empty
  • Ad 3) That part is hard to understand for someone who deals with SBC / Armbian only occasionally. How do I ensure apt to not make any changes to /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf ? Please clarify that. Do you mean there are interactive questions which I shall answer accordingly? Or do I need to lock something? Or monitor something and revert it if changed?
  • Ad "4")? Then comes another code block with "apt upgrade --no-new-pkgs ; apt full-upgrade ; apt dist-upgrade" — Is this step 4? Or preceding part 3?
Edited by porg

Hi @porg,

From where shall I get that armbian.gpg file reliably? Is it cryptographically ok/safe enough as @BrewNinja did it?

Yes, it should be fine to do it as @BrewNinja did - but  you can also copy from another machine on your LAN.

How do I ensure apt to not make any changes to /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf ?

There are interactive questions - if it asks you if you want to update that file, tell it not to (which is the default anyway)

Thx folks for the upgrade instructions. Worked for me until I got this (when running the standard 'apt update && apt upgrade'):

The following packages have been kept back:
  libffi-dev libsigrokdecode4 libssl-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Then it turns out that the system has broken dependencies (or what ever may be the reason). For example if I try to update

rock@nextcloud:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt -f install libpython3.11
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed [...]

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libpython3.11 : Depends: libpython3.11-stdlib (= 3.11.2-6) but 3.11.7-2 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

But when I try updating to the required version of  "libpython3.11-stdlib" it says that it's already installed:

rock@nextcloud:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt -f install libpython3.11-stdlib
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
libpython3.11-stdlib is already the newest version (3.11.7-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

And this is the case for other libraries, too. So I am not sure whether there is something wrong in gerenal ???!!!???

Info: I already tried cleaning apt and its corresponding /var/lib/apt/ dir several times.

Please help ...

Edited by Hannes

Thx for your answer, Joekhoobyar.

Yes, indeed, there are messages about "held BROKEN packages", but I did not put any packages on hold.
Neither 'sudo apt-mark showhold' nor 'sudo apt-mark unhold' shows anything.
What to do? I am a little bit of lost.
What is the reason for this mismatch? How to get rid of it?