chrony not working, no complaints from systemctl

I have ntpsec setup s a stratum 2 server on this machine I'm no ATM, basically to lighten the load on the distros servers and its being used by most of my machines here.

I'm bringing up, slowly it seems, another 3d printer with a bpi-m5 as the front end for the klipper driver.

I have followed the directions in /etc/chrony/sources.d/README to  add that file, pointing chrony at this machine for its time reference. Restarting /etc/init.d/chrony geenerates an ok response from systemctl status:

Feb 13 14:56:03 bpi51e5p systemd[1]: Starting chrony, an NTP client/server...
Feb 13 14:56:03 bpi51e5p chronyd[5277]: chronyd version 4.2 starting (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP +SCFILTER +SIGND +ASYNCD>
Feb 13 14:56:03 bpi51e5p chronyd[5277]: Frequency 0.000 +/- 1000000.000 ppm read from /var/lib/chrony/chrony.drift
Feb 13 14:56:03 bpi51e5p chronyd[5277]: Using right/UTC timezone to obtain leap second data
Feb 13 14:56:03 bpi51e5p chronyd[5277]: Loaded seccomp filter (level 1)
Feb 13 14:56:03 bpi51e5p systemd[1]: Started chrony, an NTP client/server.

Because of the date discrepancy, apt and I cannot install anything to monitor chrony activity on this new machine.

However, a tcpdump watching port 123 on this machine  shows no activity from that host. so the system date remains at feb 13. What have i missed?

Thank you.