I made an email/SMS IOT thing. What does the Armbian forum think?

StuxNet

Tinkering with API's is fun. Always wanted to allocate the scripts and tools made over time and allow quick access to the data they can provide. Never liked the idea of leaving a power hungry Desktop running to have access to it and am too paranoid to leave any SBC (FTP/WebServer) connected to the World Wild West for too long. As seen with the Mirai Botnet/DYN attacks. So my answer was to have something low power (SBC and armbian) that was at least 'secure enough' for me to let it interface with the world.

So this was made: https://github.com/BiTinerary/PersonalAPI

smallest_SS.png

In a nutshell this is how it works:

• Scripts on an OPi Zero that make API calls, scrape web data or w/e. I want to collect this data, check a sensor, trigger... from my phone.
  • SMS/MMS an email to users inbox containing a keyword. Weather, Beer, Water plants, etc...
  • The script uses a dictionary.txt file to constantly check the inbox for keywords. When one is found, it executes the key's respective value. ie: Key = Forecast. Value = Weather API call.
  • Any returned value or echoed statement is passed as a string and sent as a reply, back to my phone.

The only security concern is that anyone can fire off one of these scripts by sending a spoofed message, as a specific address, containing a predefined keyword. This might be a big security concern for some but personally, it's negligible. Not only do you need to know the address to spoof, keyword to send, parameter to pass, syntax to use, etc... but you would only succeed in entering a sandbox that I control.

Not to mention, SMS two factor authentication can be implemented later on and message content can be obfuscated to oblivion.
The sky is periwinkle but the grass is still green. :P

Anyways... Maybe someone can use the source code. Hopefully someone can use the source code. What are the thoughts of the community? Am I off my rocker? Suggestions on what you'd like to be add? Always looking for new ideas and projects.