Orangepi Zero Desktop Freezes in LCD

Sion

Hi,
I am using orangepizero with Armbian_5.30_Orangepizero_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113 ubuntu server image. I have also installed mate desktop environment to enable my desktop on my waveshare 3.2 LCD. Now the issue is my desktop freezes in my LCD couple of minutes after boot.

I have used heatsink with fan, armbianmonitor show operating temp 40-50 deg cel and cpu load when i run any application 30-40%.

I observed one thing  when my desktop freezes in my LCD, i can access my orangepi with VNC as separate session where i can see my desktop and perform any task flawlessly without any freeze.

Any help here?

Not gunna be of much help but here's my two cents.

Based on what you said, we know the issue isn't with the board, it's with the screen. By this, I mean you can tell the board is doing it's thing so the problem lies somewhere in how you're interfacing with the LCD or the LCD's hardware itself. I'm not at all familiar with that screen nor do I know how you have it setup, as you did not mention this, however the first couple things that come to mind are:

• Something with the screens buffer?
  • Something with the capacitive touch feature? I'm sure it being a touch screen doesn't make things more simple. :P
  • How you're interfacing with it or have it setup?

When I've used screens in the past there has always been some python wrapper in the middle, crontab, bash script, etc... which when accidentally ran on top of each other or duplicates, things get weird. Then again that's so I can specify what is being displayed on the screen. I'm sure this is different when just displaying the desktop. Nonetheless. How do you have it set up?

Some diagnostics that I might do, if I were you, to help glean some information would be...

• Time it: Does the screen lock up at the exact same time after boot? Or is it more sporadic? ie: After using the touch screen, starting up some unrelated service or program, etc...
  • Boot up the system. Let idle. Then connect the screen. Does it lock up after the same amount of time? --> buffer?

@StuxNet

I am using RPI 3.2 inch LCD from waveshare ( http://www.waveshare.com/3.2inch-rpi-lcd-b.htm ) which has similar pin count as required in orangepi zero, so I plugged LCD directly using bugstrip as shown in https://kaspars.net/blog/linux/spi-display-orange-pi-zero. For LCD interfacing I have attached the snapshot of my board for your reference.

To get the Desktop environment on screen, I have followed the reference https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=750921&st=1800#entry58412437

LCD supports touch but as far as I know legacy kernel does not support LCD & touch simultaneously (correct me if I am wrong), so I am using only LCD, no touch

Screen lock happens sporadically. I have attached dmesg & Xserver log for your diagnostic

Orangepi_Zero.jpg

Xorg.0.log

dmesg.log