Powering the OPi Zero via GPIO

ullbeking

Hi,

I understand that powering the Orange Pi Zero through the USB OTG interface is convenient but suboptimal due to low power, especially if you have other devices attached to the board.  I've seen recommendations that powering the board directly via the 5V and GND on the GPIO from a clean and sufficiently powerful power supply is preferable.  I know in theory what needs to be done but I don't know how to physically connect to the board.

The GPIO is a 2x13 row of conductive holes in the board.  (Is there a name for this sort of thing, by the way?)  Say I have two wires, 5V and GND.  How do I physically attach a wire to one a hole?  Do I need to solder them on directly, or are there simpler and easier ways?

I have looked at pin headers and breadboard jumper cables online, and these look potentially useful but I don't know how to use them.  Would I simply get a couple of jumper cables, with at least one male connector each, and simply plug them into the appropriate holes?  Do they need to be soldered or affixed to the board?

What about 5V power supplies that give a steady, high quality stream of power?  Perhaps I can power several devices from a single power supply.  Any recommendations on the power supply itself?  I've been keeping my eyes open for e-waste so I can convert the DC end of a laptop charging brick to something that can power several Orange Pis simultaneously and handle their peak current draws, but it's never available when I need it.  I looked at those multi-port USB chargers, but when I did the sums they just weren't going to be powerful enough.  Besides, I still have to figure out a way to connect the ends to the holes in the GPIO in any case.

Thanks for any advice,

ubk

This video explains how to do it for a orange pi (he uses a different OPi board but the process is the same).

Option 1: USB charger -> usb cable [solder and insulation tape] jumper wire with dupont female at other end -> male pin header on board (makes the connection removable)

Option 2: USB charger -> usb cable [solder and insulation tape] jumper wire [solder] pin header [solder] board (not removable) like this and this

you'll need to make sure the jumper cable can carry the required amps and exposed areas are insulated.

I have no recommendations on the second part of your question though.