Overscan issue - screen out of bounds

Tonttu

Hello

I have an issue with my HDMI display. Some of the desktop is out of screen. This is about 3% or 15px all around the screen. Changing resolution from 1080p down to 720p and down to 800x600 doesn't fix the borders. Armbian-config allows me to edit the booting environment. Atleast these lines won't work:

disable_overscan=0 .... this can also be 1 with no effect
overscan_x=-30

overscan_y=-30 .... these can also be positive with no effect

also overscan_top, overscan_bottom, overscan_left and overscan_right don't work

Only line that changes something is the one with resolution: disp_mode=800x600p60

I don't have zoom on this display or I have lost the correct remote so I can't access zoom. Atleast 3 remotes with zoom buttons won't work. So I need to have a software fix.

My kernel is 3.4.113-sun7i running on A20 Olimex Micro. It is installed on micro SD
This distro on this board worked just fine with 2 of my reqular PC displays with HDMI connectors. I just want to change to this 12V mobile TV display so I can use it on a boat.

Edit1:
I've also tried xrandr with no luck... somehow it doesn't accept the screen name regardless of what I type

Any help is appreciated because right now I'm out of ideas.

Edited by Tonttu

Okay... continueing this challenge. So, I managed to connect into serial console and set some environment variables... However, they don't seem to save due to this board not having MMC. My Olimex has NAND memory and the whole shibang boots up from uSD card. Am I using a wrong type of image? Do I need to set this up for NAND memory access vs eMMC? I know that there's a version of Olimex A20 Micro with eMMC memory aswell.

Serial console:

=> env print video-mode
## Error: "video-mode" not defined
=> setenv video-mode sunxi:1360x768-24@60, monitor=hdmi, overscan_x=-30, overscan_y=-30
=> env print video-mode
video-mode=sunxi:1360x768-24@60, monitor=hdmi, overscan_x=-30, overscan_y=-30
=> env save
Saving Environment to MMC...
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 32
!MMC init failed

This change did nothing. Issue remains

On 3/24/2018 at 4:00 AM, broodwich82 said:

I had this issue with my Cubieboard 2 in Armbian on a Viewsonic monitor, but not a (much newer) Dell monitor. The issue never appeared in Cubian or in the stock Android ROM.

Yes, this is definately a SW issue.