Change boot device new boot script

rdonovan

Hi, I have a question regarding the new Banana Pi (A20) boot script created in Armbian 5.25.

Many months ago I switched my roots from the SDCard to the sata disk using the sata-nand-install script, after that I used to switch between SD and HDD and vice versa, mostly for maintenance operations on the HDD (sometime the system gets corrupted and I have to restore the HDD partition with e2fsck from the SD).

Until Armbian 5.20 I used to edit the boot.cmd file pointing to the desired root device, recompile the boot.scr and then the system were loaded from the desired partition.

Now with Armbian 5.25 I'm not sure which file I have to edit to do the same, boot.cmd or ArmbianEnv.txt?

I've tried both but the boot didn't seem to be right and I don't understand if it's because my HDD is dead or because I badly edited the new boot script.

Could someone help me please?

Thanks! 

12 hours ago, rdonovan said:

Now with Armbian 5.25 I'm not sure which file I have to edit to do the same, boot.cmd or ArmbianEnv.txt?

For changing the boot device - only armbianEnv.txt

12 hours ago, rdonovan said:

I've tried both but the boot didn't seem to be right and I don't understand if it's because my HDD is dead or because I badly edited the new boot script.

Hard to say anything without logs and exact description of your changes

14 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

For changing the boot device - only armbianEnv.txt

So basically I should just edit armbianEnv.txt from

rootdev=UUID=64383220-a185-4473-b3ab-ef1612d4d94c

to

rootdev=/dev/sda2

and then just reboot? 

Or I still need to recompile boot.scr?

rootdev parameter can be set using the dev path or the UUID method is mandatory?

Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, rdonovan said:

So basically I should just edit armbianEnv.txt from

rootdev=UUID=64383220-a185-4473-b3ab-ef1612d4d94c

to

rootdev=/dev/sda2

and then just reboot? 

Pretty much

Or I still need to recompile boot.scr?

No

rootdev parameter can be set using the dev path or the UUID method is mandatory?

Using UUID is more reliable than device node names that may change i.e. if additional USB storage was connected