Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 


Member Map




Everything posted by AndrewDB

  1. There are many possible reasons for that.
  2. I have also experienced that, it's the kernel random generator that requires a source of entropy to initialize the driver. There are a number of workarounds , google for it.
  3. Try a different kernel version (earlier/later).
  4. Your box is bricked. See how to unbrick on Freaktab website. or google "how to unbrick my Amlogic tv box". Also, please don't post off-topic anymore in this thread, since at this point this has nothing to do with Armbian.
  5. Try to flash the Android firmware to a different (preferably earlier) version.
  6. Then just copy the kernel, initrd and modules from any of Oleg's images that fits your needs.
  7. That is completely unrelated to Armbian. In your case, I would suggest trying an Ubuntu desktop image, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get a VNC server working on it. Firefox should be working out of the box and Chrom(ium) is an extra 3-minutes install.
  8. So you want to update the kernel? The way I do that is that I compile and install a kernel I download from Oleg's (balbes150) repository on GitHub. This has the advantage that I can configure the kernel to fit exactly my needs. Depending on your hardware you can also download, configure, compile and install an unpatched mainline kernel from kernel.org. Either way, you get exactly the kernel version you want with exactly the options you need. BUT If the kernel you already have installed and booting from eMMC is working fine, there is no reason to update.
  9. @klimbo I don't have any Km8P box with Android 8.0, and as far as I know Mecool does not have an Android image for Android 8.0. So I am not sure your question makes any sense.
  10. Are you trying to upgrade to a new Armbian release, a new Debian/Ubuntu release, or to a new kernel? Because these are three different things. And obviously there is a way to upgrade each of these.
  11. I checked pihole, since it's the main difference between your setup and mine (I assume you are using Armbian Ubuntu 18.04 in server mode). Pihole by default is setup to do both IPV4 and IPV6 blocking, but if you are running your internal net on IPV4 I suggest you completely disable IPV6 in the kernel of your km8p box, and disable IPV6 blocking in pihole, that will eliminate one possible source of crashes. Pi hole should continue to work just fine. To disable IPV6 in the Linux kernel, just type the following commands: sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
  12. Are you using the WiFi or ethernet to connect to the net? Also try a different power brick if you have one, you could have received a bad one. andrew@km8p1:~$ uptime 22:12:51 up 23 days andrew@km8p2:~$ uptime 22:13:38 up 47 days andrew@km8p3:~/Development/Armbian-NG$ uptime 22:14:01 up 47 days
  13. @NicoD I noticed you have benchmarked it against other SBC's using blender, but how long does your PC take to render the same file and what kind of CPU does it have?
  14. Just a weekly update on the progress on Armbian-NG, as of April 10 2019: I pushed version 0.05 yesterday. The public repository now holds a total of 482 lines of Python code and 102 lines of documentation (in markdown format). Almost all the new code is the TUI (terminal user interface), which tries to copycat as much as possible Armbian's ncurses-based dialogues using a Python library called npyscreen. This took me longer to program than I expected because I was held back by a bug "undocumented feature" in npyscreen... I estimate the TUI code is 80% completed now. I also wrote some "internal documentation" (notes) for my personal reference, which I have not uploaded to the repository. But if anybody wants to contribute, this is available, just PM me. After the past week's effort into programming the TUI for Armbian-NG, I have renewed respect and appreciation for the amazing programming work done by Igor in writing Armbian. It truly is a wonder! If I am able to do 10% of what Igor did I will be proud already! Over the next week I intend to let the TUI code settle down a little bit and work mainly on the kernel downloading and compilation steps.
  15. NEXT uses 5.1 mainline kernel which does not have dtb for any TV box, I believe. You'll have to write your own dts (device tree source) file, and compile it to a dtb. Or you can send a MagicSee N6 Max to Oleg and ask him to write one!
  16. Well, I think the one conclusion one can draw here is that it's a bad idea to rely on experimental hardware with a not fully debugged kernel for real, serious development work. As chwe wrote, perhaps a more "conservative" approach would yield better results? Unfortunately I am of the humble opinion that by the time you get your cluster to function reliably and are able to begin using for development work, the rk3399 will be considered obsolete, and you will have invested a lot of time, energy and moolah in essentially what will have become a paperweight. Still, I hope you can sort it out asap. Best of luck!
  17. @AxelFoley I agree with chwe. Btw I too have an armbian cluster for development purposes, 100% stable, 5 nodes, 32 x A53 cores. Total cost was around $100. PM me if you need more info. andrew@andrew-ThinkPad-T420:~$ ssh andrew@ ____ ___ _ ____ / ___|/ _ \/ |___ \ \___ \ (_) | | __) | ___) \__, | |/ __/ |____/ /_/|_|_____| Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.75 user-built Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.20.5-aml-s912 System load: 0.00 0.00 0.00 Up time: 41 days Memory usage: 17 % of 837MB Zram usage: 7 % of 418Mb IP: CPU temp: 40°C Usage of /: 49% of 15G [ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ] andrew@km8p2:~$
  18. That's one problem solved, then. HW freeze without kernel messages and no ssh access = power supply problem with 99% probability, the other 1% is some other hardware problems.
  19. Wrong forum. You want to post here: https://forum.armbian.com/forum/16-amlogic-s905x/
  20. This is all you need to know, actually. As I wrote before, this is a problem with hardware acceleration being used by Chromium. You can turn it off in advanced settings.
  21. @amirul Exactly what Oleg wrote. If you don't have the option to update in "About device", try to install an older firmware for your TV box using the SD card method.
  22. Because it's from a different kernel. Check the kernel version used in Coreelec, it's probably the old kernel 3.14.something from Amlogic and it's using the proprietary ARM GPU drivers. Armbian uses mainline kernel 5.02 with different dtb's. And as I wrote before, ARM is not supporting Linux X Window graphics on newer kernels on the drivers for the T8XX GPU's.
  23. Many ways to do that. 1. Root the device, install TWRP, and install the zip thingy from TWRP. 2. Or use adb in developer mode. 3. Or solder a serial USB UART thingy, interrupt u-boot, and at the u-boot command prompt update u-boot manually. 4. Etc. There are many ways to skin this cat but the simplest one is the recommended update & backup in Android. I am surprised your box does not have it.
  24. You forgot to mention which version of Armbian you have tested. Also, FYI, in the S912 the ARM T820 GPU does not do video decoding, it's the Amlogic VPU that handles video decoding. There are no drivers for the T820 GPU. ARM does not release the closed-source drivers and the open-source, reverse-engineered drivers are still WIP (work-in-progress).
  25. I am a little bit skeptical of such comparisons. First, you don't say which flavor of armbian you have tested. Ambian Ubuntu or Armbian Debian? and which Ubuntu/Debian release? What desktop was used (Gnome, KDE, Mate, Xfce?)? You do realize that Armbian is a work that combines well-known distributions with unsupported hardware and does the amazing job of integrating these into a very easily installed (as you noticed) and useful OS? Also, if you just scratch the surface of kernel development you'll realize how problematic outdated vendor kernels are compared to mainline. But then again, you should use whatever suits you best, and if that means using Arch Linux ARM with an outdated kernel, so be it. By the way you can use Armbian's kernels with Arch Linux ARM too, it's just a matter of installing them.
  • Create New...