• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 


Member Map





Everything posted by ygoe

  1. Thank you for the suggestions. I first wanted to see what happens after that reboot. The issues has just gone away. I have not changed anything with the system or software, just rebooted when it was so busy. Since then, the load is constantly low and memory usage is also low. My own client app keeps happily sending its data to the server and the LED timer still works nicely. First a week with LAN connection, now a few days with WLAN only. So whatever it was, it didn't come back and a reboot solved it. Maybe I should set up a watchdog that reboots (not hard-resets, as long as possible) the system on unexpected high load or slow reaction speed.
  2. Oh, I downloaded that image 2 weeks ago. Have to update again. Do I have to copy it to the SD card again or can I upgrade it from the system like 'apt upgrade'? I did the latter just this weekend when I set things up. Igor, you showed the load values. Doesn't that mean that the system is juggling many things in parallel, some of which could just be IO waits so no real CPU activity? The 'free' command said I have plenty of free memory and swap. I looked into top but couldn't see anything especially interesting there besides "kswapd0" taking much CPU time. I'll look again tomorrow. Had to restart the system because nothing worked anymore. At least I could issue a reboot command and didn't have to cut the power.
  3. Here's the link: http://ix.io/2pT5
  4. I've copied Armbian Ubuntu Focal onto a brand-new SD card and started it on an Orange Pi Zero. This has worked before with the Bionic version. After setting it up and upgrading all packages, I rebooted and everything was running smoothly. Now I've done the same as before but found that the system is totally slow after running for just one day. It's set up to collect data from a 1-Wire temperature sensor and send it to my server. And it lets the green LED blink twice every 30 seconds to show it's still there and has a network connection. The network is connected via Ethernet cable, WLAN is not used. Observation 1: It took half a minute to login the first time today. Manpages take a while to load and even the shell echo isn't instant (up to a few seconds behind). Observation 2: There's plenty of free memory (85 of 245 MB used), swap is like 45 of 120 used. 'top' shows that the process kswapd0 has by far the most CPU usage. Often it's between 5 and 30%, in total it's much more than any other process. Observation 3: The LED should blink twice with a delay of 1 second. It actually blinks once and maybe a second time sometime later. But definitely not within a second. It's a shell script that just calls 'sleep' to wait. So even 'sleep' doesn't return in time here. I've tried to use 'swapoff -a' but it doesn't change anything. It prints "Killed" and then swap still shows up in the output of 'free'. System diagnosis data was uploaded to: (waiting many minutes...) (still uploading... I'll provide the link as soon as it's done) What could be the cause of such misbehaviour? It's like it has aged decades in just one day, doing almost nothing. On a new board and new SD card. Very strange, I've never seen that before.
  5. No, that card was in use in an Android phone for a few years. It was a light usage, not too much activity. But do you have more information about how Armbian treats SD cards better than Raspbian? The SSH bug is already known here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssh/+bug/216847 PS: Why can I only post once a day? Am I considered a spam bot or so?
  6. What does that mean? The file system is read/write. Meanwhile I have another suspect. After recreating the system, I never unplugged the power and let it run for a few days. Still, after a reboot, the filesystem was corrupt and remounted read-only. When I ran 'fsck' on it, it found and fixed hundreds of errors. I don't know whether it would ever complete. I unplugged the power while it was still running. Maybe the SD card isn't reliable anymore. I'm going to order new ones and try again. If they fail, too, the RAM or the entire device would be defective. I have a second device of that type I can then try. Regarding the same device mounted twice: Does that mean you can't tell why that's the case? I found it in the output of 'mount'. It just appears twice. No idea why. There are a dozen other mounts I also mostly don't know. Can't look up anything right now without a working SD card. But what is that /var/log.hdd anyway? I also had that impression, but found out my test was incomplete. I tried to connect via SSH but there's a bug in SSH/Debian for over 10 years: if there's no IP address at boot time, sshd will fail and never start again. The WLAN connection seems to take a minute or two to come up, though. My file system broke again before I could test a workaround for that.
  7. Hello, I've copied the Armbian Bionic image onto an SD card (and verified it) and put it into my new Orange Pi Zero LTS 256 MB. I already have experience with Raspberry Pis and Raspbian for a few years, so this isn't entirely new to me. While I was trying to establish a stable network connection (wired and wireless), I misinterpreted some "host not reachable" as "network failed" when instead other issues existed. In the process, I unplugged the power a few times after the device has booted up but wasn't reachable via the network. Only then I connected the serial console and investigated further. There I found out that it wasn't actually booting anymore because it needed a manual filesystem check. When I ran that, a large number of errors was corrected. This was surprising because I thought ext4 fs journalling was active and should prevent such situations completely. It might still ask (not sure, but I haven't configured anything else yet), but it really shouldn't see dozens of errors. To be sure, I reflashed (and verified) the SD card to have a clean filesystem again. Now I'm trying to figure out why this could happen and how I can prevent it in the future. There are discussions on the web (including this forum) that explain the use of 'dumpe2fs' and 'tune2fs' and the options for the '/etc/fstab' file. But it doesn't make much sense in my case. According to 'dumpe2fs', the 'has_journal' flag is set and the journal should be active. 'tune2fs' cannot disable the journal because I cannot remount the root filesystem as read-only ("mount point is busy"). So I couldn't see what it looks like when the journal should be inactive. Then, I should be able to use the "data=journal" option in fstab to actually use the journal. But last time I did this, it couldn't mount the filesystem anymore and failed to boot. Correcting this from the outside is complicated (I have no other Linux box at hand) so I'd have to reflash the SD card again in this case. Can somebody please explain to me what the real situation with the ext4 journal is? Should it be used by default or do I have to opt into it? If it is active, then why could the filesystem become so corrupted by plugging out the power? If it's not active, and should prevent this corruption at all, then how should I proceed to enable it? Here's the output from 'armbianmonitor -u': http://ix.io/2o7w BTW, why is the same device mounted twice to '/' and '/var/log.hdd'? How can this be possible? And should I ignore the second mount point?