armbian for H3: future proof or still risky

jmf11

Dear all,

I come with a basic question: is armbian for H3 advanced enough and without roadblocks future proof, or is it still risky? Should it soon become mainline or for one or more years, it will be mainly for advanced users?

I need to set-up a Openelec platform with software DSP features (ALSA, LADSPA, SOX...). I need easy to setup audio features (over USB, I2S, HDMI). I'm far from being a Linux expert. I don' t know how to compile an image, I discover SBC world.... I don't want to enter in too steep learning curve, and be able to focus on my project. Are H3 and Orange pi products ok for me, or would you advice to go directly to Rpi?

I understand that there is a stable Legacy kernel, but that building the images still relay strongly on a motivated but small community, and that 4.x kernels are not off the shelf yet.

Thank you for your advice,

Best regards,

JMF

Dear jmf11,

You definitely need to list and prioritize all your requirements. Find out exactly, what you want to do and then evaluate existing proven solutions in order to focus on your project and not add additional arbitraries. If needed, order OPI ONE/PC , a decent power supply and some SDcards to evaluate Openelec and Armbian. That's the only way to find out whether you'll end up in a foolproof love affair without roadblocks and live happily ever after.

Good luck.