mainline SPI NVME boot working rockpro64 with armbian

belfastraven

See https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8685

Using his SPI flash image,  and then using armbian-config   flash from SPi/system on NVME  option worked.  I had commented out the

set the uboot partition section to what is started booting from lines in boot cmd to do the initial testing. 

I have been booting mainline for a while on this device.  It boots much faster,  and two or three weeks agoTobias Schramms  atf patch made into mainline atf so the device no longer hangs on a soft reboot.  

I have booted from sd, emmc and the NVME with this u-boot.  I haven't tried usb3 or usb2.  

32 minutes ago, belfastraven said:

I have been booting mainline for a while on this device.  It boots much faster,

I also have positive experience with booting mainline u-boot on RockPro64 as of v2020.01-rc5.

I work on bringing mainline u-boot to this board in Armbian, it needs some more adjustments in the build system, but it is coming ;)

Could you provide me some details how to deploy mainline u-boot on an sd-card.

I can build u-boot, but if I follow everything, I get nothing on the console.

I want to get u-boot+linux running on a nanopc-t4 using ssd.

AFAIK, the u-boot only differs on the device-tree

Kurt

22 hours ago, kurtvandijck said:

Could you provide me some details how to deploy mainline u-boot on an sd-card.

I can build u-boot, but if I follow everything, I get nothing on the console.

I want to get u-boot+linux running on a nanopc-t4 using ssd.

AFAIK, the u-boot only differs on the device-tree

Kurt

Kurt,  I'm not exactly sure whether this answers your question, but to summarize:

I built using the default branches from github.com/u-boot/u-boot  (master) https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware  (master), altthough you could use the tag 20.01 for u-boot .  I used master for atf becuase there have been changes for the rk3399 in the last month or so.

You need to build atf bl31.elf first

make PLAT=rk3399 bl31

and copy  the bl31.elf into the u-boot directory

then

make       rk3399-nanopc-t4_defconfig

make      ARCH=arm  (-j 7 woorks well for me building on my rockpro64)

then write to sd card on which you have written the armbian image  (input files are in u-boot directory)uboot.ig

dd if=idbloader  of=/dev/(however your sd is defined) seek=64 conv=fsync

dd if=u-boot.itb of=/dev/(however your sd is defined) seek=16384

this generates a bootable sd card.  you can use armbian-config to keep file system on your ssd.  You may be able to boot from the ssd,  but I can't tell you if that is possible with your device. 

(What the u-boot mentioned in the first post of this topic does is enable use to boot from an pcie NVME device using the SPI flash,  which is a bit different. )

when you mentioned "I get nothing on the console"--I hope you mean the serial console.  It is very difficult to debug u-boot without using it....

If this is not clear, let me know.