OpiPC - nand-sata-install script doesn't work for me. (HDD Failure?)

tahaea1

Hello all.

I am having problems making nand-sata-install script work for installing to my external HDD. 

I used this (or similar) script in the past on loboris' images and it was working. After some time and experimenting with other images etc. I settled on Armbian, everything worked great, until I started the same script. I made 30 ish GB partition for the system and leave the rest as NTFS storage partition for mounting it later on the OS. But with armbian's script, i couldn't get my HDD to work with it.

I am choosing to boot from sd and system from USB (sata) option, choosing the correct partition (/dev/sda2 in this example) and starting the process but it fails when it copies everything over to HDD. At around 6 to 10 percent.

Errors i am getting are from rsync, it throws up bunch of lines for every file it tries to copy, stating destination filesystem is read-only. rsync errors 23, 27 and 30.

error lines on dmesg shows these for bunch of blocks "Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 4752419"

So i figured maybe my HDD was failing (it was bought 3 years ago, not that old) I connected it to SeaTools and it gave some errors, S.m.a.r.t data was showing some errors so i sent it to Seagate for a RMA.

I received my new HDD today, and getting the same damn errors as above. Seatools shows everthing is OK and s.m.a.r.t data is OK too.

What is the problem in this case? Is the 2nd HDD i received is faulty too or am i doing something wrong?

Sorry for my bad English.

@tahaea1

First things to check with HDD errors would be power supply/cable ( you need a >2A stable PSU for the 1A power surges of HDDs ), USB adapter/cable ( USB3 adapters normally work, USB2 adapters most likely need additional power/second USB power connector ). HDDs on OPI usually work like a charm with Armbian when powered and interfaced correctly. 

Are you planning to use the "NTFS storage partition" for some proprietary nostalgia ? Have a look at ext4 if you plan to use it with modern Armbian.

Good luck.

@tahaea1

First things to check with HDD errors would be power supply/cable ( you need a >2A stable PSU for the 1A power surges of HDDs ), USB adapter/cable ( USB3 adapters normally work, USB2 adapters most likely need additional power/second USB power connector ). HDDs on OPI usually work like a charm with Armbian when powered and interfaced correctly.

Are you planning to use the "NTFS storage partition" for some proprietary nostalgia ? Have a look at ext4 if you plan to use it with modern Armbian.

Good luck.

I have 2 2.5" HDD enclosures, one usb2 with an usb-y cable for extra power and one usb3 which doesn't have an extra power input other than a single usb3 input. Since OpiPC can't power the usb3 one enough, i always used the usb2 one. And considering the only thing common with these 2 HDD's is the same enclosure, i will try with a new enclosure that has extra power input and report back.