anyone surely solved the reboot cycle for tinkerboard?

xAda

i'm stuck with this since day 1 but now i upgraded to armbian (with kodi-gbm) i had this problem worse

stress testing the board with stress -c 4 doesn't bring the board into shutdown, but logging in to kodi-gbm or using graphical interface? it brings instability all of a sudden. there's no inherent pattern from the shudowns except when i launch kodi or access some files (emby transcoding doesn't cause any instability). anything outside the text mode should cause it to shutdown. weirdly enough, when i removed the USB peripherals (2xUSB HDD, own power supply for both cases) the instability worsens and doesn't boot or sometimes reboot cycle after fsck.ext4 on startup.

this board was powered by an ATX PSU (using the FDD connector). measured 5.1V across it. is there a possibility i tripped some overcurrent protection or something?

any suggestions how to fix it? can i actually power it using a separate usb 5v/3a connector as stated here? https://github.com/berinc/Asus-Tinker-Board

i don't have any troubleshooting tools at the moment. i don't have a usb tester or a multimeter (leads broke.)

thanks for your help.

Edited by xAda

for some reason i can't edit the post, and sorry for the accidental bump

so it turns out i'm having those reboot cycles because of power supply issues, obvi. but for some context

1. the first case was where i found out that ATX power supply was dicey to begin with given it's already 13 years old now with no recaps or anything, the fan was broken and it runs sweltering hot all the time. not a good sign. i replaced it with another ATX power supply for christmas, and even the Molex/HDD 5V lines work like nothing. so maybe one off? either way i changed to XL4015 5A adjustable buck converter using the +12VATX lines to 5.5V. works fine.
  2. the second case comes from few days after. my pets ate my cable and the USB turned dicey. cant really confirm the resistance of my usb but the red and white wires were touching each other, so thats something. also the XL4015 indicated charging (short circuit?).

so i can safely say i have problems with my cables, and replacing them with proper ones fixed my problems. that old ATX is gone to the crapper now due to an accidental short. might harvest its wires for something