Orange Pi 2 Weirdness

Kiendeleo
Go to solution Solved by ALIGMSTEN,

So there is some weirdness happening with Armbian on the Orange Pi Zero 2 that I bought from Amazon.  These are the V1.5 version of the hardware.  

With the Orange Pi image (which looks strangely like armbian), once the device is booted, the red led goes off, and the green led turns on.  With the armbian image, the red light stays on, and the HDMI output does not turn on in the CLI image. This led me initially to think this board was not working.  Once I hooked up a USB to Serial interface, I noticed it booted. Well, at least when the SD card was seated correctly, but that is a hardware problem.  

Once booted, `armbian-config` does not show the wifi interface settings.   

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

• Solution

Hello @Kiendeleo

The red light on is standard for mainline and armbian edge images, they have a different device tree configuration (Hint, perhaps a change there may signal there is sufficient progress with edge images). The display engine etc is not patched into mainline or armbian edge, do not expect HDMI output.

Wifi patches again, not there, and will not work atm.

Not entirely sure of V1.5 hardware changes, haven't looked , and if that will effect development going forward, (maybe something is fixed!).

Perhaps for what you expect/need working, consider the legacy images.

The build system has been updated from AR1396...

Good luck.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The main thing I was looking for is wifi.  What would be the first step in diagnosing and fixing that problem?

Also is there something I can do to contribute the changes on the 1.5version board?

Edited by Kiendeleo

Also is there something I can do to contribute the changes on the 1.5version board?

Software, test images and report, hardware v1.5 is a case for schematics revision.

Armbian 22.11 Bullseye / Jammy
Kernel 4.9.318 or 6.1.4

Release date: Jan 10, 2023

Legacy kernel has more or less full hardware support, while mainline lack functions such is wireless, HDMI, ...

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-zero-2/