Odroid C4 - No HDMI audio (after armbian update/in latest release)

karkar

Hi guys,

I have issues with audio - only dummy interface shown - after the system update of ~2year old armbian.

I did not find any solution, so I decided to go for latest build - so I flashed latest image Armbian 23.02 Jammy XFCE to the emmc drive of my odroid C4.

System started ok, but unfortunately no HDMI audio device shown anyway.

I have no idea what to do, my dmesq is full of these lines:

[   13.936415]  fe.dai-link-0: ASoC: no backend DAIs enabled for fe.dai-link-0
[   13.937748]  fe.dai-link-0: ASoC: error at dpcm_fe_dai_prepare on fe.dai-link-0: -22
[  935.795034]  fe.dai-link-0: ASoC: no backend DAIs enabled for fe.dai-link-0
[  935.801472]  fe.dai-link-0: ASoC: error at dpcm_fe_dai_prepare on fe.dai-link-0: -22

I believe it is connected - there are some similar issues reported on various distros.   
Only solution, which seems to me would work, was reinstall odroid-base and odroid-alsa packages, however these are not in the armbian repositories.
Would you please help what should I do to resolve such challenge? Or at least where are these packages, please?

I have the same issue using Debian Buster, and the HDMI audio only works up to kernel 5.10.102. Anything past that, and all I get is dummy audio. I have found Ubuntu Focal will work with HDMI audio with the MATE desktop up to Kernel 5.10.102 as well, plus you gain the ability to use the Panfrost GPU driver. I think there may be an issue with the DTB /Uboot files past kernel 5.10.102, so I set Armbian config to freeze kernel and firmware upgrades until I know the problem has been rectified. Kind of a bummer since I have a Edimax Wifi 5 dongle that seems to require Kernel 6.1 to operate.

Edited by Gabriel D

@c0rnelius, that did the trick, and made it possible to upgrade my Debian Buster install to 23.02.2 Kernel 6.1.11 and have HDMI Audio! Thanks a bunch!! 😀 I will try this solution on Debian Bullseye as well.  

Now it's time to figure out how to enable my Panfrost driver in place llvmpipe on Buster, but that's another issue for another thread.

Edited by Gabriel D