tinkerboard 2 /2s - gstreamer - vpu support (rk3999 with mali GPU)

Hey there,

I'm trying to use gstreamer as a video player for the tinkerboard 2 armbian build (Armbian Bookworm XFCE desktop stable).

It seems that the VPU isn't used correctly, I only get about 20FPS for a 1080p mp4 video (h_264) and CPU flies to a 100%+.

On the original and not so good orignal operating system (TinkerOS) there was an extra gstreamer sink plugin made for the RK3999 (rkimagesink).

I tried to compile the original plugin from sources (https://github.com/TinkerBoard2/external-gstreamer-rockchip), but there are several dependencies missing and I can't find them either on github / apt.

Any idea how to make gstreamer use the VPU correctly ?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Schwarzy said:

Any idea how to make gstreamer use the VPU correctly ?

Media support for the rk3399 SOC is working since a long time with pure mainline code. With a modern software stack and current mainline releases, this even works out-of-the-box. Only the HEVC decoder support in the kernel has not yet landed, but there are WIP patches that make this usable also. See gst-play-1.0-pipeline.pdf for reference.