armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero kept back, unmet dependencies, you have held broken packages ... ?

mc510
Go to solution Solved by mc510,

Now that xradio has been enabled on kernel 6.x, I'm ready to upgrade my Orange Pi Zero that I've been keeping on 23.02 with kernel 5.x.  With armbian-config I've unfrozen kernel/firmware updates and after apt upgrade and reboot I am on kernel 6.1.53 and wifi is working! But boot message says I'm still on 23.02, and apt says that armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero is being kept back.

Now trying:

$ sudo apt install armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero
[...]

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero-current : Depends: base-files (>= 23.8.3) but 23.8.1-bullseye is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Do I just need to wait for something to be updated in the repositories so that armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero will be made available, or have I messed up something on my system that I need to fix?

23.8.3 was generated recently just two days ago. Its possible that bullseye support might be getting dropped due to resource crunch or may be it was just missed when creating the release. Not 100% sure. Anyways, If possible you can try upgrading to bookworm from bullseye by changing the repository urls accordingly in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list. Or if you need to stay on bullseye for some reason then just wait and maybe package will get updated to even more newer version in upcoming days.

• Solution

Well, this blog post convinced me that upgrading from bullseye to bookworm didn't have to be nearly as complex as the official Debian documentation made it out to be, so I followed those instructions and completed without error. Initially, I neglected to edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list before executing full-upgrade, but it seems to have worked as a two-step full-upgrade.

Welcome to Armbian 23.8.3 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.53-current-sunxi

and xradio wifi is working 😀

Edited by mc510