Mekotronics R58 mini thread (RK3588 mini PC)

Bas

Question

Are there any other Mekotronics R58 mini users out there? I like this box a lot and Armbian runs great on it, I would very much like to share expereriences with other users and learn from each other. At this point Armbian is downloadable for this board on this site. And it has recent updates too. Some specs:

• I have the Mekotronics R58 mini plastic version (there is also metal box that has better cooling but same internals)
  • RK3588 8 core Rockchip CPU
  • 4Gb RAM
  • File System transferred to 120Gb SSD with armbian-config
  • Measured it uses 2.1 watt during idle
  • I seem to have everything working except HW acceleration. On the download page it says to execute some PPA scripts (to add repositories) but these fail
  • And everything works rather GREAT very nice silent mini PC

Should I wait till subsequent updates will fix HW acceleration? Or run the provided scripts? But alas, these scripts run into errors like below.

E: De pakketbron 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/liujianfeng1994/panfork-mesa/ubuntu bookworm Release' heeft geen Release-bestand.
N: Bijwerken van de pakketlijst uit een dergelijke pakketbron kan niet veilig gebeuren en is daarom standaard uitgezet.
N: Zie de man-pagina apt-secure(8) voor details over het aanmaken van een pakketbron en over de configuratie langs gebruikerskant.
E: De pakketbron 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/liujianfeng1994/rockchip-multimedia/ubuntu bookworm Release' heeft geen Release-bestand.
N: Bijwerken van de pakketlijst uit een dergelijke pakketbron kan niet veilig gebeuren en is daarom standaard uitgezet.
N: Zie de man-pagina apt-secure(8) voor details over het aanmaken van een pakketbron en over de configuratie langs gebruikerskant.

Do you use R58? Let's help each other! 

Bas

2 answers to this question

Hoi Nico, thanks for the link. So far I tried from the offical Armbian download page:

• Latest bookworm --> very good experience out of the box but the HW accel ppa's don't work. Apart from youtube/movies/games it's very SWIFT for "normal" office and server stuff
  • Latest Jammy --> not a nice experience for me, seems incomplete OOB and laggy

I have a preference to stay on the offical Armbian bandwagon so I might try the rolling Jammy XFCE (built one month later) next to see how that goes. On the other hand I am very curious of the perfomance difference with Monka's link. So thanks again Nico!

Bas