Recomended Armbian version for soc s905x2

xFall00

Hello Guys. What Armbian version and image would you recommend?

I have a TESLA MediaTech X700 Pro with soc s905x2 in it. I would like to use it to play movies via kodi and play retro games e.g. via RetroArch.

Previously I used CoreELEC on an sd-card that is great for movies. Retro gaming only with wired Xbox One or Xbox Series controllers (xone driver for MS USB Xbox dongle did not work there). I would like to use my Xbox controllers wirelessly.

Thank you for your advice.

Edited by xFall00
typo

• xFall00 changed the title to Recomended Armbian version for soc s905x2

Try an image from here: https://fi.mirror.armbian.de/archive/aml-s9xx-box/archive/

Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.11.img.xz - only command line

Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.11_xfce_desktop.img.xz - with XFCE desktop environment.

Extract the .xz file to get the .img file. After you have written the img file to your sdcard, you would need to do the following 2 steps:

1. Use the correct dtb for your box. For TV boxes, it can be difficult to get the exact dtb file. However, you can try out the different dtb files that are for the same amlogic chip as your TV box and see what works best for you. In the /boot partition in your sdcard (the partition named armbi_boot), go to dtb -> amlogic directory. You would need to look for dtb files named meson-g12a-*.dtb (g12a is the codename for S905x2). Then open up the file /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and look for a line FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini.dtb or similar that is not commented out. Replace the name of the dtb file with the one that you want to try out.

2. Inside the /boot directory, rename the file u-boot-s905x2-s922 to u-boot.ext

Insert the sdcard in your box and power it on. If anything shows up on the screen after sometime, its good!. If not, then you have to try another dtb from the list of meson-g12a-* dtbs. If no dtb seems to work, then things are going to get complex. However, for now, try out the steps and let us know how it goes.

Also, read this informative post by @SteeMan for amlogic boxes:

Edited by mmie4jbcu
typo