Guidance on Kernel Updates for RAID Root on Armbian

adamlove

Hello Armbian Community,

I am running Armbian on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a RAID 1 setup for my root filesystem. I've come across a warning in a guide for RaspiOS (link below) suggesting that firmware upgrades could disrupt the RAID setup.

Robert Alexa's Guide on GitHub

Given this, I have a few questions about handling Armbian kernel updates in a similar RAID configuration:

1. How are kernel updates managed in Armbian when using RAID for the root filesystem, and are there any known issues similar to the one described in the guide?
  2. What precautions should I take when applying apt upgrade to ensure that my RAID remains bootable?
  3. Is the initramfs update process during Armbian kernel upgrades RAID-aware, or are there manual steps required to maintain RAID integrity?
  4. Does Armbian have specific guidance or documentation on managing RAID setups through system updates?

Any advice, documentation references, or user experiences you could share would be incredibly helpful, especially to avoid any interruptions to my RAID system following updates.

Thank you in advance!