Attempting to use patch file to change u-boot configuration during build

ctag

Hi,

I'm trying to compile Armbian with TOC0 support for my opi-zero2, but am having difficulty getting the configuration setting to take effect.

Opening the compiled disk image in a hex editor shows me what I believe is evidence the current u-boot does not have the toc0 flag set:

image.thumb.png.64181d719b379b207e8d551437a7f0dd.png

I started by creating a patch file in userpatches: userpatches/u-boot/v2023.10/board_orangepizero2/orangepizero2_toc0.patch

diff --git a/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig b/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig
index f13735e91c..31f3c475e4 100644
--- a/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig
+++ b/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig
@@ -23,3 +23,4 @@ CONFIG_SPI=y
 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
 CONFIG_USB_MUSB_GADGET=y
+CONFIG_SPL_IMAGE_TYPE_SUNXI_TOC0=y

But this did not appear to have an effect on the built image.

Next I tried copying the red power LED patch over to userpatches and modifying it:

$ cp patch/u-boot/u-boot-sunxi/board_orangepizero2/orangepizero2_light_red_led_on.patch userpatches/u-boot/u-boot-sunxi/board_orangepizero2/orangepizero2_light_red_led_on.patch
$ cat userpatches/u-boot/u-boot-sunxi/board_orangepizero2/orangepizero2_light_red_led_on.patch
diff --git a/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig b/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig
index f13735e91c7..c88cd095205 100644
--- a/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig
+++ b/configs/orangepi_zero2_defconfig
@@ -23,3 +23,4 @@ CONFIG_SPI=y
 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
 CONFIG_USB_MUSB_GADGET=y
+CONFIG_PWRLED="PC12"
+CONFIG_SPL_IMAGE_TYPE_SUNXI_TOC0=y
-- 

But this also hasn't had any effect. I would appreciate any pointers as to what I'm misunderstanding about the build system!

Edited by ctag

When you run compile.sh you can observe in a table "summary of kernel patches" which patches are going to apply. User patches are in the bottom of the table.

Maybe you've chosen a wrong directory to put your custom patch...

Also you can set userpatch folder manually.

See in https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Options/ USERPATCHES_PATH option

Edited by Roman555

@ctag Unless you have tried to override the BOOTPATCHDIR environment variable, your second patch path i.e. userpatches/u-boot/u-boot-sunxi/board_orangepizero2/orangepizero2_light_red_led_on.patch is correct. If you had passed BOOTPATCHDIR=v2023.10 on the commandline, first path would have worked as well, but it would have ignored all the patches that are currently applied by Armbian as we are using BOOTPATCHDIR as u-boot-sunxi.

I tried both of your patches in my checkout, and both of them failed to apply. See the output here - https://paste.armbian.com/uwapayuqiw.bash. In the shared output you would see its considering the file that I added based on your second patch and failing to apply the same.