[Bug] System restarts on seek on h264 video files

rix81

Hello, i'm using Armbian 23.11 Jammy-amazingfated Gnome. Kernel 5.10

If to seek a couple of times in h264 1080p BD remux'es it will cause system restart. Any video players are affected. Tried mpv, vlc, kodi and others.

Problem affect just h264 1080p remuxes,  that typically are 30..40 Gb,  smaller h264 or even larger h265 files seem to work fine.

I tried fresh install of armbian, where no rkmpp is installed, then h264 files plays/seeks fine,  in software mode of course. Once I did sudo update/upgrade, that also installs rkmpp  and other rockchip stuff, then videos start to play with rkmpp  and problem is back.

I've tried disabling hw decoding as workaround , weird, but it seems it's not possible to do in any player.

In mpv :

hwdec=no ,  or pressing ctrl+h  has no affect,  can't get rid of rkmpp  decoder. Ive tried all possible commands related to this, from official mpv documentation, but nothing helps to disable rkmpp . This is probably another issue. 

Disabling buggy h264_rkmpp_decoder   could be good workaround, as cpu is easily capable do play 1080p in sw, but can't find a way to do this, no matter i try,  pls help.

Especially looking for solution for mpv

Edited by rix81

14 hours ago, amazingfate said:

ffplay -vcodec h264 test.mp4

Thanks, it plays/seeks perfectly fine, with no issues.

Is there something I can do to disable h264 hw decoder in mpv/ffmpeg ?   it's really buggy...  other from system restarts, it may hang up system sometimes, e.g. when closing player

Edited by rix81

Posted (edited)

I've compiled/installed ffmpeg using this guide    And problem with seek is gone !

I'm newbie in linux, don't know how good is this solution. Will this compiled version be overwritten by one from ppa on updates?

Edited by rix81

Thank you so much rix81 and amazingfate, I also had this issue and fixed it by compiling ffmpeg using the guide linked above!

I'm also new at this, but i installed it using checkinstall to prevent apt overwriting it, and that seems to be working for me!