OrangePi 3 LTS with Armbian 23.11.1: intermittent bluetooth

tizianomattei

Hi all,

I'm using an OrangePi 3 LTS with Armbian 23.11.1 bookworm current 6.1.63 xfce installed on a microsd card.

Unlike some previous version I tried, now the wifi works correctly.

As for the bluetooth, it works... every other time.

That is, on one boot it will load, in the subsequent one it will fail, and so forth consistently.

I'm not an expert, so if you need some output from some program, please tell me which.

By now I can say that when it doesn't work, the bt icon in the systray doesn't appear, however if I try ps aux | grep blue* I find that obexd and blueman-applet are running. And if I launch blueman-manager I get an error dialog saying that the bluez daemon is not running, and that it probably means that no bluetooth adapter was found or that the bluetooth daemon wasn't started (I'm translating back from Italian).

But, at the subsequent reboot, it works again, and over and over...

I've found this post which might be related, as the issue seems similar, but it's on a different board and with a different iso, so I really don't know.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Tiziano

Edited by tizianomattei
typo in the title

• tizianomattei changed the title to OrangePi 3 LTS with Armbian 23.11.1: intermittent bluetooth

Yeah, seems like hciattach binary crashes some times as reported by @Stephen Graf as well. Try replacing /usr/bin/hciattach_opi with https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/orangepi-build/raw/next/external/packages/blobs/bt/hciattach/hciattach_opi_arm64. Make sure to keep the filename the same i.e hciattach_opi. Let me know if it works after reboot

I've rebooted again now and this time there is no bt icon in the tray and a new error dialog appears, with this content:

Failed to apply network settings

You might not be able to connect to the Bluetooth network via this machine

Exception

g-dbus-error-quark: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.23 was not provided by any .service files (2)

Edit: now I've rebooted again and it seems there's no problem

Edited by tizianomattei

ok...so it seems you got lucky 5 times in a row when you did the testing before. Np, I will test later on my Orange Pi 3 LTS.

Try editing /lib/systemd/system/aw859a-wifi.service and add "After=aw859a-bluetooth.service" as a newline after Description line. Reboot couple of times and see if bluetooth is working. You can check status of aw859a-bluetooth.service. If its reported running, your bluetooth will work. If you face issues with After, try changing it to Before.