Clone from SSD to USB

jonokoi

I have followed this guide and I can boot my Orange Pi Zero from SSD without the need for an SD card inserted.

I want to keep a bootable backup for my system in case the SSD gets corrupted.

I was thinking to clone my system in a USB stick (just like I did to clone from SD to SSD) and then use rsync once a week to keep everything up to date with a script like that.

If I go in armbian-config > system > install I can see only one option: "Install/Update the bootloader on SD/eMMC".

How could I clone from SSD to a USB stick? Is there a command like `sudo nand-sata-install`?

Might I interest you in my little project?

https://github.com/UnconnectedBedna/shrink-backup

It creates a bootable img file to your liking that you can just "burn" if you want to restore.

Easily kept updated with the script (uses rsync to synchronize).

If you want to move it back and forth between usb, ssd, sd-card etc you have to make sure that works yourself for this board (works automatically on rpi), but the img file should be writable back to the medium you backed it up from with the script.

Please note though, this is not a clone, it is a backup of root and boot to a bootable img file (extra partitions, like if you have separate /home partition will be baked in the same partition as root on the img unless excluded).

That will most likely change in the future as I am in the planning process of how to also be able to include a separate /home (and potentially other partitions as well, my thought process is still in the planning stage)

If you want to make a complete clone, dd is probably your best friend (from the system not running at the time), but this will obv be as big as the total device size, my script only copies the actual data on the device and creates an img "as small as possible" (depending on what options you start the script with).

Maybe you can find it useful. :)