LVM2 devices not created when booting Kernel 6.6

I have a RockPro64 that I have been using for many years as a server. It is currently running Armbian bookworm 12.5. Most of the storage is on an M.2 SSD attached to the PCI socket and is subdivided into disk volumes using linux LVM2.

Today I accepted the Armbian kernel upgrade from 6.1.50 to 6.6.16

During the reboot it failed to mount any of my LVM volumes because the device nodes where not present.

I found this article about how to recover the situation: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/11125/lvm-devices-under-dev-mapper-missing

While in rescue mode I ran the suggested command

vgchange -a y <name of volume group>

This re-created the lvm devices under /dev/mapper so I was able to mount the volumes, but the newly created devices where not persisted so I got the same problem again when I attempted to reboot.

I have been able to get my system booting by adding "nofail" to each /etc/fstab line and then after boot running the vgchange command to create the devices so that the system can boot, but clearly this is not a wise long term solution. It looks like something has been missed out of the early boot commands or the intrid, but I don't know enough to fully debug the problem.

Any ideas?

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors