HDMI output stopped working

Slav

Hi there

Suddenly HDMI output stopped working on my orange Py 5. I've been using the board with an external monitor for a month but on the next boot HDMI connection disappeared.

• external display using type-c output works fine;
  • I've already tried several HDMI cables and monitors - no results;
  • no visual damages detected on the board;
  • flashing image doesn't help;

The system is Armbian 24.2.1 jammy OS with GNOME version 42.9.

Any ideas what next steps should I do to find out whats happen?

Hello,

If you boot from SD card, testing a new image will help you diagnose the problem. I have been booting

from the 6.x.y kernels up to 6.8.9 and get HDMI OK. I notice the kernel you use is 5.10.160.

G

Thank you for reply.

I've already boot from SD with a new image. I've tested several different kernels up to 6.8.9, nothing changed. Also I've already try to toggle different armbian-configuration params related to HDMI, also no luck

I have two Orange PI 5 where one is running 6.1.43, and one is running edge, currently 6.8.9.

Both are connected with standard hdmi cables to a small flat-TV. Both work OK, and I get

reasonable graphics, however, the TV is old, so resolution is not 4or 8 k.

Is it some HDMI vs screen problem that you see, resolution for example???

G

Posted (edited)

The problem is that everything worked fine (with normal HDMI cable, 4K screen and stable Armbian 24.2.1 ). And suddenly on the next usual boot, there was no video output and no screen detected in settings. I've checked cable and monitor with another devices - everything works fine. I've checked another normal HDMI cable and monitor with this Orange PI 5 - no output detected.  Also I can still see video using type-c to DisplayPort output. So the problem is something wrong with HDMI output. Either on firmware level (I have lots of error using sudo update/upgrade the last time everything worked ), or on hardware level (maybe something on my SBC just broken/heated due to poor quality). I flashed firmware several times and it didn't help

Edited by Slav

I had the same issue. Not able to see an hdmi output unless i used a usb-c to hdmi dongle. I was able to restore hdmi output using the instructions in this post:

Could be an issue with cheap displays only? The display I'm using is a RCA tv so I'm not really sure.