Seeking working setup for generic RK3328 6.1 BSP build

Alex Nesta

Hello Armbian Rockchip community,

I'm working on getting Armbian based on the 6.1 BSP kernel running on a custom RK3328 board (specifically the MKS SKIPR for a 3D printer). This board is very similar to the libre renegade rk3328-roc-cc - just a few minor GPIO pin changes are required. I want to use the 6.1 BSP kernel because I expect it to have mpp video encoding capabilities. There is an existing repo that has this board working on the 6.7 mainline kernel with a couple of gpio patches. I've made some progress but am running into issues and could use some guidance.

So far, I've been able to:

• Compile and run the basic 6.7 kernel for the MKS SKIPR - from this repo https://github.com/redrathnure/armbian-mkspi
  • Start work on updating the rk3328-roc-cc device tree overlay for 6.1 kernel support - only focused on the kernel now - uboot is next I think?
  • The 6.1 bsp build with my custom DTS modifications boots, albeit with some issues

I'm encountering challenges with the 6.1 kernel, particularly around:

• Properly configuring all the board peripherals
  • Getting a stable system up and running

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully set up a generic RK3328 build with the 6.1 kernel that I could use as a reference? Specifically, I'm looking for:

• A working device tree for RK3328 on 6.1 - verified MPP accelerated encoding is a plus!
  • A working u-boot setup (including any dts modifications)
  • Any required kernel config changes
  • Tips on BSP setup for RK3328 boards

If anyone has a GitHub repo or other resources they could share, that would be incredibly helpful. I'm happy to share more details on my specific setup if needed.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or pointers!

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Hey -I was able to get it to compile and boot, but I was unable to get ethernet or USB 3.0 ports working. Also - there is no video encoding acceleration. Apparently the video encoding never really worked well on these boards - no matter the kernel.

I emailed one of the developers. They suggested I start with the RK3328 EVB device tree, as that one should have some updates from the official rockchip team. I decided to not continue after almost 1 month of trying to figure it out.

Hopefully, someone else will figure it out soon.

I am using this setup for now just to have a modern kernel. It should be adaptable to your kingroon board. It work on the QID

https://github.com/redrathnure/armbian-mkspi

X