OTG USB Ethernet "kind of" fails on me!

d00b2020

Hi all!

Please excuse my noobness. It's my first day on Armbian + Orange Pi Zero. Until now I was using Raspbian + RPi Zero W but I could not find related docs for what I was doing so far on the previous platform.

My goal here is quite simple: being able to connect my OPi through OTG (ether) and enable the RNDIS interface on my macOS. Already tried several tips and configuration snippets I've found around, which led me to this stage:

The USB0 is up and configured:

3: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ee:95:f9:4f:6c:28 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 169.254.1.1/16 brd 169.254.255.255 scope global usb0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::ec95:f9ff:fe4f:6c28/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

But my RNDIS interface on the mac still shows "Cable unplugged".

image.png.21d1174640a1aa83fefff3a6c0096efd.png

The same cable/usb port is used on the RPi, following the basic instruction about dtoverlay and module load, and the RNDIS interface goes online immediately after modprobe g_ether.

How can I achieve a similar result on Armbian and Orange Pi?

Already tried Xenial and Jessie 3.4.113 and Jessie 4.11.3, all of them with the same result. I believe I'm just missing some simple step here!

http://sprunge.us/cMBN

Thanks!

Regards,

d00b

I am on the same boat with you here, but with nano pi neo and mainline 4.14. 

The symptom is exactly the same as yours, g_ether gets loaded and usb0 is created successfully.

But on the host (MacOS), RNDIS interface is shown unplugged. 

Trying with another host (ubuntu 18.04) gives the same result, so it is likely to be a problem on the side of the device.

Have you solved this issue?

BW

Edited by Brightwide

Hmmm, I don't quite remember.... I think it worked on the Macbook but not on the desktop (I use a Hackintosh) so I just moved my development to the Macbook entirely. Anyway, I just found my Banana Pi too hot and unstable for what I was doing, so I moved back to the Raspberry Pi, where the OTG worked nicely on both systems.

Regards!

Thanks for your reply.  It seems there are some people who have the same problem getting h3 devices like nanopi or orange pi recognized from host PCs via RNDIS even though usb0 device has been successfully enabled by g_ether and dts hack.

I have invested so much time on this, but maybe it is time to move on to the device with larger community like raspberry pi. 

As you said, I also have pi zero working with RNDIS flawlessly so I will just stick with that...