OpenGL ES + Mali on Orange PI + 2

Yaroslav Zhmayev

Hello everybody,

I'm pretty new to Armbian and H3 boards. I own an Orange PI + 2 board brought more than 1 year ago, yesterday I started to play around with it and I've discovered that for some reason its Mali GPU doesn't support OpenGL ES
and it's somehow related to it having 2 GB of RAM on board. I'm really not sure how it can be related, but that's what Armbian's changelog for v5.20 says:

Mali OpenGL ES does not work on H3 boards with 2GB RAM (Orange Pi Plus 2, Orange Pi Plus 2e)

Later in v5.25 it says:

updated MALI driver on H3 platform, fixed problems on 2GB boards

So I just want to know if 2GB boards feature OpenGL ES support (as well as HW video decoding etc)?

I tried to run glxheads, glxgears etc from mesa-utils package, but got some really poor FPS there + some games I used for benchmarking such as billard-gl warned me about missing mali drivers:

libGL error: unable to load driver: mali_drm_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: mali_drm

This guy is doing some good job for a H3 board. I think Armbian community can benefit from his experiments at least in terms of  getting Mali GPU fully working or backporting Kodi to our distro

https://ua3nbw.ru/all/kodi-18-armbian-orangepi/
https://ua3nbw.ru/all/kodi-17-1-krypton-na-orange-pi-s-opengl-es-2-0/

libGL is part of OpenGL and not OpenGL ES, which means you are running wrong tests and thus they are software rendered. There is GLShim library, which translates OpenGL 1.1 calls to OpenGL ES, but I'm not sure how good this works. There are already some threads here on Armbian forum about it.

For example, one test which can properly determine if OpenGL ES works is glmark2-es2