Quick update here, I was running some benchmarks today. Off the top of my head:
1. local SSD was getting something like 1200 MB/s write and 1500 MB/s read
2. USB connected HDD was getting ~175 MB/s write and 175 MB/s read
3. NAS (not helios) connected at 1 Gbps was getting ~100 MB/s read/write
4. Helios in DAS mode and on Raid 10 was getting approximately 170 write and 250 read.
5. Helios in DAS mode on a single drive was getting 190 write and 220 read.
For the capture 1 use case, I think a solid contender. Unfortunately, as I described in the other thread, I can't get my whole array presented in DAS mode (it wants to give me 200GB for a 18TB array).
Updated: also ran on a single drive instead of the array. Slightly better write numbers with slightly worse read numbers. Also, frustratingly, drive capacity was off -- this time showing 1.2 TB instead of 10.