Specific Noise Detection

Sarkons

Hello there,

I have been doing research in regards to finding software or a script that has the ability to monitor the microphone noise and compare it to a wav file I have previously recorded.

I've found a technique where someone uses SOX and identifies the maximum amplitude of the noise using a ruby script. It sounds like it should work but I'm worried about false positives.

I'm curious if there is something out there that compares the microphones sound spectrograph with the wav file in real time?

My end goal is to be able to monitor my basements sump pump usage. When the pump runs, the PI listens then, hits a URL using curl which then insert a database record with the date time. I just want to know when it last ran and use the data for statistical purposes.

There is also potential to use a vibration sensor to trigger the event, but i'm hoping to do this with what I have on hand.

I've got an Orange Pi Zero for this project.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Sarkons said:

just want to know when it last ran and use the data for statistical purposes.

I think you are making things too complicated. I guess it's an electric pump?
You can measure the amperage the pump uses.
Or maybe put a motion detector on top of it to sense the shocks.
Or just measure the decibels with a microphone attached to the pump.
Or make a flow meter with an electrical motor and measure the current....

I could think of a lot more idea's. What you think of is possible, but I think it's too complicated for the goal.
I probably would just use an Arduino or esp32 and some sort of sensor with a multi-digit 7 segment display and some buttons to browse through the info. And an sdcard reader to store data.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/customer-display-10-digit-7-segment_60241316220.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.86.390f4f69plkdcV
Most of the times simple works best. I've learned that the hard way.