Odroid C1 Buster no usb devices work

Meeuuh92

I've tested last night fresh install of armbian buster on my C1. I'm actually use an old jessie where is installed jeedom (with rfxcom + zwave dongle), and a bluetooth dongle.. So i've perfomed jeedom installation (with difficulties) but my usb devices aren't not visble under /dev... Is something wrong with kernel (modules missing), or must i do something ?? 

5 hours ago, Meeuuh92 said:

or must i do something

The problem is kernel. Modern kernel (in Buster image) is on experimental level, things are improving slowly - amateur development, while old is not supported anymore. And also not recommended to be used for something like that. I ran my Z-WAVE stuff on Allwinner H5 board, kernel 4.19.y

To my knowing, USB should work, but not hot plugging. You have to boot with attached device. Make sure you read text on the download pages, especially "kernel issues".

13 minutes ago, Meeuuh92 said:

Thank you. Yes i saw the kernel issues... I think it's sandard usb drivers, and for domotic's usage... I could be work.. Is  an image still exists of armbian strech for c1 ? 

USB is working under Buster but not your Z-Wave dongle? If that is the case, that is solvable by digging into the kernel config. You can do that on your own by recompiling kernel ... when you find out what is missing. Or just enable everything that looks related. Modern kernel for C1 needs to meet with developers/users. We are too small to cover this.

Debian Stretch has troubles working with prehistoric kernels. Stock 3.10.y that comes with C1 is too old / on the edge. EOL Jessie is the only way. Or Xenial which is also on the way to become EOL. You will be alone fixing troubles there ... 

Usb works because i see my devices with lsub. The rfxcom serial devices et bluetooth dongle are not created under /dev... I didn't try testing the zwave dongle.  So does a tutorial exists to compile an armhf kernel and install it with u-boot (i will do it under x86 station)... Regards, 

1 hour ago, Meeuuh92 said:

So does a tutorial exists to compile an armhf kernel and install it with u-boot (i will do it under x86 station)... Regards, 

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

kernel + dtb and u-boot come out deb packaged. You install them on the target and that's it. Only u-boot needs a special treatment - it used to update this way in the past but due to the problems we move it under manual update -> armbian-config -> system -> install/update boot loader ...  for this case you don't need to update boot loader. Just remember to install image and dtb package. This is essential.

Hi, i cannot compile new kernel... I make some tests yestarday evening and i'm stuck after menuconfig with kconfig which do something in loop... The compilation doesn't start..

below a log extract :

make[1]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
make[1]: Warning: File 'scripts/Makefile.host' has modification time 5747421618 s in the future
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/confdata.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/expr.o
 LEX     scripts/kconfig/lexer.lex.c
 YACC    scripts/kconfig/parser.tab.h
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/lexer.lex.o
 YACC    scripts/kconfig/parser.tab.c
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/parser.tab.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/preprocess.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/symbol.o
 HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf  --olddefconfig Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
make[1]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
make: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
 HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/confdata.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/expr.o
 LEX     scripts/kconfig/lexer.lex.c
 YACC    scripts/kconfig/parser.tab.h
 YACC    scripts/kconfig/parser.tab.c
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/preprocess.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/symbol.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/lexer.lex.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/parser.tab.o
 HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf  --syncconfig Kconfig

Yes, i followed instructions.. Compilation loop "in script kconfig", just after kernel configuration menu. I will post log later in the day (i can't access to them now)

output.log

Edit... i cleared cache... so compilation is working now..

Edit 2 : Rfxcom now work but i don't find ex btusb module in kernel configuration : is it something new in kernel 5 ? -> so i found it under networking... bluetooth usb.. :-)

Edit 3 : I find perf are less good than kernel 3.1.. an idea ? i test cpufreq... it's better.