0
jdonoghue

Espressobin UART rescue failure

Recommended Posts

Previously running a different Linux, I followed the instructions to update the boot loader so I could try Armbian on my Espressobin. The update completed ok, but could no longer read from the SD card. After several hours of frustration, I attempted to revert back to the original boot loader and found I could no longer tftp or update from USB.

After several days of frustration, I am near the point of giving up. Here's what happens when I attempt to use the UART rescue found at the Espressobin web site:

Marvell>> usb start
starting USB...
USB0:   Register 2000104 NbrPorts 2
Starting the controller
USB XHCI 1.00
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
Marvell>> bubt bootloader.bin spi usb
Burning U-BOOT image "bootloader.bin" from "usb" to "spi"
USB0:   Register 2000104 NbrPorts 2                                             
Starting the controller                                                         
USB XHCI 1.00                                                                   
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00                                                           
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found                             
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found                             
Image checksum...OK!                                                            
SF: unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: c2, 25, 36                                     
Failed to probe SPI Flash                                                       
exit not allowed from main input shell.                                         
Marvell>>

I then tried various newer UART rescue images, which all seem to recognize the SPI flash chip but cannot update from USB (yes, I tried various working USB memory sticks...):

Marvell>> usb start
starting USB...
USB0:   Register 2000104 NbrPorts 2
Starting the controller
USB XHCI 1.00
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
Marvell>> bubt bootloader.bin spi usb
Burning U-BOOT image "bootloader.bin" from "usb" to "spi"
USB0:   Register 2000104 NbrPorts 2
Starting the controller                                                         
USB XHCI 1.00                                                                   
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00                                                           
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found                             
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found                             
BUG: failure at drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c:489/abort_td()!                    
BUG!                                                                            
resetting ...                                                                   
>

I also tried updating via TFTP. All the UART rescue images I tried give the same result: tftp hangs, like this:

Marvell>> setenv serverip 192.168.1.15
Marvell>> setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.12
Marvell>> ping $serverip
Using neta@30000 device
host 192.168.1.15 is alive
Marvell>> bubt bootloader.bin spi tftp
Burning U-BOOT image "bootloader.bin" from "tftp" to "spi"
Using neta@30000 device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.15; our IP address is 192.168.1.12
Filename 'bootloader.bin'.
Load address: 0x80000000
Loading: #

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I find it hard to believe the board is broken, since it was working fine prior to the first boot loader update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jdonoghue said:

I find it hard to believe the board is broken, since it was working fine prior to the first boot loader update.

 

The UART rescue images to be used are those here (18.12-v2). To be on the safe side, please use the 600_600 or 800_800 images for your board. Did you follow the uart recovery instructions (use miniterm - not minicom etc.) ?

Do you use a V7 or a V5_0_1 EspressoBin ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a V5_0_1 EspressoBin.

 

It's working now with the 600_600 image. It appears the problem was created during pasting the environment into the terminal - after restoring the environment to default, I was able to TFTP without problems. Careful examination showed that when I pasted the environment into the terminal, a few characters are being dropped.

After carefully typing it in manually, I was able to get it to boot.

 

Thanks for your help.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
0