Proper way to test a customized kernel

delius
Go to solution Solved by martinayotte,

Hello, Amrbian devs,

Thank you for the efforts first.

I'm fiddling with some of SBC including PineH64, Rock Pi4...

Sometimes, I have to provide a new kernel or add modules.

So after the kernel modules are installed. How can I edit boot loader to start it.

I discover /boot/boot.cmd and boot.scr contains a line "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE"

So how can I start another kernel image? Is the init ramdisk is required?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, delius said:

So how can I start another kernel image? Is the init ramdisk is required?

If you used Armbian build scripts, it will produce a linux-image-*.deb, and when installed using "dpkg -i", it will take care of changing symbolic links in /boot and create new uInitrd file.

13 hours ago, martinayotte said:

If you used Armbian build scripts, it will produce a linux-image-*.deb, and when installed using "dpkg -i", it will take care of changing symbolic links in /boot and create new uInitrd file.

Sir, I appreciate your reply.

Does that deb file include a proper boot configuration to boot the kernel within?

And what if I built a kernel individually out of Armbian building environment, how can I make it work with existing Armbian system?

Thank you.

• Solution
9 hours ago, delius said:

Does that deb file include a proper boot configuration to boot the kernel within?

There is no "special" boot configuration since U-Boot rely on the 3 symbolic links which point to proper Image/uInitrd/dts .

9 hours ago, delius said:

And what if I built a kernel individually out of Armbian building environment, how can I make it work with existing Armbian system?

It is possible, but then you have to manually install every things and create the symbolic links as well as creating uInitrd using "mkimage".

It is much more easier to use Armbian DEBs ...