Logrotate copytruncate not working

Armbianmonitor:

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a problem with logrotate on my OrangePi Zero with Armbian Focal mainline.

Basically I have a process that is always running with a `tee` command  that outputs the stdout to a log file in the /var/log/ directory.

My logrotate configuration file looks like the following:

/var/log/smartbit/gocpp.log {
  rotate 10
  daily
  compress
  missingok
  notifempty
  copytruncate
  dateext
}

It's all working correctly except the copytruncate part: logs are daily rotated and gzipped but the gocpp.log is not truncated to 0 bytes, so it gets bigger and bigger.

I noticed that in this new Armbian version logrotate is not triggered by a cron but by systemd logrotate.service.

If I run /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf, everything works included the copytruncate line, but with `systemctl start logrotate.service` the copytruncate line is not considered.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance

Mattia

7 hours ago, MattCostamagna said:
Armbianmonitor:

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a problem with logrotate on my OrangePi Zero with Armbian Focal mainline.

Basically I have a process that is always running with a `tee` command  that outputs the stdout to a log file in the /var/log/ directory.

My logrotate configuration file looks like the following:

/var/log/smartbit/gocpp.log {
  rotate 10
  daily
  compress
  missingok
  notifempty
  copytruncate
  dateext
}

It's all working correctly except the copytruncate part: logs are daily rotated and gzipped but the gocpp.log is not truncated to 0 bytes, so it gets bigger and bigger.

I noticed that in this new Armbian version logrotate is not triggered by a cron but by systemd logrotate.service.

If I run /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf, everything works included the copytruncate line, but with `systemctl start logrotate.service` the copytruncate line is not considered.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance

Mattia

Try changing /var/log/smartbit/goccp.log to /var/log.hdd/smartbit/goccp.log

/var/log is a ramlog mount that's synced underwater to /var/log.hdd to decrease SD writes.

@xwiggen Thank you for your reply.

I tried doing what you suggested and it worked. I still don't understand why /var/log does not work while /var/log.hdd works.

Now I have two problems:

1.  I configured /var/log as a tmpfs in /etc/fstab (tmpfs   /var/log           tmpfs   nodev,nosuid    0   0) so that log files do not count as writes to the SD card. I previously didn't know about /var/log.hdd, so I think that now this doesn't make much sense. I'd still like to write logs in a way that do not spoil the SD card on the long term, how can I do it?
  2. How can I disable the writes to /var/log.hdd?

Another strange thing is that in the Armbian version I was using before (where logrotate is triggered by a daily cron and not by systemd) I didn't have the copytruncate problem, now it seems that the problem is systemd because if I run /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf everything works as expected.

14 hours ago, MattCostamagna said:

@xwiggen Thank you for your reply.

I tried doing what you suggested and it worked. I still don't understand why /var/log does not work while /var/log.hdd works.

Now I have two problems:

1.  I configured /var/log as a tmpfs in /etc/fstab (tmpfs   /var/log           tmpfs   nodev,nosuid    0   0) so that log files do not count as writes to the SD card. I previously didn't know about /var/log.hdd, so I think that now this doesn't make much sense. I'd still like to write logs in a way that do not spoil the SD card on the long term, how can I do it?
  2. How can I disable the writes to /var/log.hdd?

Another strange thing is that in the Armbian version I was using before (where logrotate is triggered by a daily cron and not by systemd) I didn't have the copytruncate problem, now it seems that the problem is systemd because if I run /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf everything works as expected.

var/log should already be ram (zramctl) in sync.  non-persistent logging defeats the purpose.

what you can do is log to /tmp (tmpfs) en set logrotate entry to /tmp/... with the options you mentioned.

8 hours ago, xwiggen said:

var/log should already be ram (zramctl) in sync.

@xwiggen Yes, this is something I didn't know before, so now I removed the tmpfs entry in fstab.

When I did this yesterday, the copyctruncate in logrotate magically started working. I have no idea why the tmpfs conflicted with logrotate.

I wanted to post this yesterday but the Armbian forum didn't let me because I reached the maximum number of posts I can make per day (1 I guess)...

9 hours ago, xwiggen said:

non-persistent logging defeats the purpose

Yes I know but for the type of application I have to develop I don't care that much o logging because it's all saved on a cloud environment; local logs are useful to me only when everything else fails.

Anyway now my logs are working as I expected. The only other thing that doesn't make sense to me is /var/log.hdd that is not updating. This is its current content:

$ ls -halt /var/log.hdd/
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root            1.2K Jun  4 12:56 armbian-ramlog.log
-rw-rw-r--  1 root    utmp            5.3K Jun  4 12:56 wtmp
-rw-r-----  1 syslog  adm             156K Jun  4 12:56 syslog
-rw-r-----  1 syslog  adm             6.0K Jun  4 12:55 auth.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root            264K Jun  4 12:54 dpkg.log
-rw-r-----  1 syslog  adm              68K Jun  4 12:54 kern.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root             24K Jun  4 12:54 faillog
-rw-rw-r--  1 root    utmp            286K Jun  4 12:54 lastlog
drwxrwxr-x 10 root    syslog          4.0K Jun  4 12:54 .
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root            4.0K Jun  4 12:54 apt
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    adm             4.0K Jun  4 12:49 nginx
drwxr-xr-x 13 root    root            4.0K Jun  4 12:49 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root             42K Jun  4 12:35 armbian-hardware-monitor.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root             18K Jun  4 12:35 alternatives.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root            118K Jun  4 12:35 bootstrap.log
-rw-rw----  1 root    utmp               0 Jun  4 12:35 btmp
-rw-r--r--  1 root    adm              38K Jun  4 12:35 dmesg
drwxr-x---  2 root    adm             4.0K Jun  3 13:45 unattended-upgrades
drwx------  2 root    root            4.0K May 28 18:53 private
drwxr-sr-x  2 root    systemd-journal 4.0K May 28 18:53 journal
drwxr-xr-x  2 _chrony _chrony         4.0K Apr 20 13:58 chrony
drwxr-xr-x  2 ntp     ntp             4.0K Apr  2 17:37 ntpstats
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root            4.0K Dec 23  2019 sysstat

As you can see files are very old. I'm not an expert but I thing it should be periodically updated with the content of the /var/log directory, isn't it?

I thought this was caused by the fact that I made the "/" partition read-only for security purpose, but I can write into that directory without any problem.

So /var/log.hdd is not updating (which is kind of what I want, even though I don't like the fact that is working for reasons unknown to me), and if I mount the sd card into my computer to see the content of the partitions I made, the /var/log.hdd is empty. So is the content really stored on the physical memory?

Too many mysteries...

I haven't found any documentation on the internet about all of this, so if anybody knows where I can read something about how logs are managed by Armbian, please send it to me.

Thanks a lot

On 7/10/2020 at 9:18 AM, MattCostamagna said:

@xwiggen Yes, this is something I didn't know before, so now I removed the tmpfs entry in fstab.

When I did this yesterday, the copyctruncate in logrotate magically started working. I have no idea why the tmpfs conflicted with logrotate.

I wanted to post this yesterday but the Armbian forum didn't let me because I reached the maximum number of posts I can make per day (1 I guess)...

Yes I know but for the type of application I have to develop I don't care that much o logging because it's all saved on a cloud environment; local logs are useful to me only when everything else fails.

Anyway now my logs are working as I expected. The only other thing that doesn't make sense to me is /var/log.hdd that is not updating. This is its current content:

$ ls -halt /var/log.hdd/
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root            1.2K Jun  4 12:56 armbian-ramlog.log
-rw-rw-r--  1 root    utmp            5.3K Jun  4 12:56 wtmp
-rw-r-----  1 syslog  adm             156K Jun  4 12:56 syslog
-rw-r-----  1 syslog  adm             6.0K Jun  4 12:55 auth.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root            264K Jun  4 12:54 dpkg.log
-rw-r-----  1 syslog  adm              68K Jun  4 12:54 kern.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root             24K Jun  4 12:54 faillog
-rw-rw-r--  1 root    utmp            286K Jun  4 12:54 lastlog
drwxrwxr-x 10 root    syslog          4.0K Jun  4 12:54 .
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root            4.0K Jun  4 12:54 apt
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    adm             4.0K Jun  4 12:49 nginx
drwxr-xr-x 13 root    root            4.0K Jun  4 12:49 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root             42K Jun  4 12:35 armbian-hardware-monitor.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root             18K Jun  4 12:35 alternatives.log
-rw-r--r--  1 root    root            118K Jun  4 12:35 bootstrap.log
-rw-rw----  1 root    utmp               0 Jun  4 12:35 btmp
-rw-r--r--  1 root    adm              38K Jun  4 12:35 dmesg
drwxr-x---  2 root    adm             4.0K Jun  3 13:45 unattended-upgrades
drwx------  2 root    root            4.0K May 28 18:53 private
drwxr-sr-x  2 root    systemd-journal 4.0K May 28 18:53 journal
drwxr-xr-x  2 _chrony _chrony         4.0K Apr 20 13:58 chrony
drwxr-xr-x  2 ntp     ntp             4.0K Apr  2 17:37 ntpstats
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root            4.0K Dec 23  2019 sysstat

As you can see files are very old. I'm not an expert but I thing it should be periodically updated with the content of the /var/log directory, isn't it?

I thought this was caused by the fact that I made the "/" partition read-only for security purpose, but I can write into that directory without any problem.

So /var/log.hdd is not updating (which is kind of what I want, even though I don't like the fact that is working for reasons unknown to me), and if I mount the sd card into my computer to see the content of the partitions I made, the /var/log.hdd is empty. So is the content really stored on the physical memory?

Mounting / as read-only is for forensic purposes, journal etc won't be committed, i.e. nothing new is flushed to SD.