Armbian on i.MX6 Sololite based eBook Reader (tolino epos / Netronix E70Q2M) – How?

The Woo

Question

I am looking for ways / support to run Armbian (no release preference; any version would be good) on the tolino epos 1 eInk display eBook reader (built by taiwanese manufacturer Netronix under model ID 37NB-E70Q2M+4A2).

The device currently/by default runs Android 4.4.2. I'm able to flash customized 4.4 images via fastboot and have ADB control (Android Debug Bridge) via USB and Wifi.

I've identified the following key components:

• Freescale i.MX6 SoloLite
    (MCIMX6L8DVN10AB) CPU. Version with GPU and EPDC (Electrophoretic Display Controller; a feature-rich, low power, and high-performance direct-drive, active matrix EPD controller. It is specifically designed to drive E Ink EPD panels, supporting a wide variety of TFT backplanes).

• Realtek RTL8189FTV – Wifi only, no Bluetooth

• TI TPS65185 – Single Chip Power-Management Solution for E Ink® Vizplex™ Electronic Paper (E-Paper)

• Elan eKTF – Touchscreen Controller

• Ricoh RC5T619PMU – Power Management

• Samsung KLM8G1GEME – 8 GB eNAND

• Nanya NT6TL xxx – 512 MB RAM

The device will be used as internet-connected display device with no user interaction through the touch-screen.

What I need / what I don't need:

• mandatory: access to a console via USB
  • very desireable: Wifi support
  • not mandatory: touchscreen support
  • mandatory: support for those Chinese, Qualcomm MDM9200/9600-based 3-in-1 LTE 4G USB Modems with Wi-Fi Hotspot (attached via USB OTG cable, used as direct modem, not as Hotspot)

Possible? If so, how?

e.g. How to create an image supporting the listed components? And: How and where to flash it? (There is no SD card slot, I must flash the any Armbian image to the internal 8 GB. Using fastboot? Stick to the existing bootloader or replace it? (Worried about bricking the device).

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

ACtC-3eEYDZTrESW4tfhrS1B8SVScE4SyeIa_ewA

ACtC-3fQp4tKoLZjSeHFSfQFnyImJjDSigDZ3HCJ

ACtC-3culKuIPYGtKEb6opZXdUhBrLikyc9B0VnTACtC-3epZreI_1P4RwcWqVt5VO_287REjCDWt4q-ACtC-3fpbV0-yRJHOpOyhmlvZdbCJ3zSbzNly1pHACtC-3cdV01wqtc_ot5dV0aYZJ_jZOF3RymGsBXg

Edited by The Woo

1 answer to this question

On 7/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, The Woo said:

Freescale i.MX6 SoloLite

https://www.armbian.com/download/?tx_soc=nxp-freescale  maybe one of these comes close to yours.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, The Woo said:

How and where to flash it? (There is no SD card slot, I must flash the any Armbian image to the internal 8 GB. Using fastboot? Stick to the existing bootloader or replace it? (Worried about bricking the device).

I would search the internet with your favorite search engine for: how to flash linux onto your device.

Once you know more...  https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-nand-sata-usb