Backup sd card

gabrielwong1991

So basically if I wish to backup the sd card after installing the Armbian OS, how would I do that?

In raspbian we put the image to sd card using win32diskimager. To backup the sd card we can just read the data back to computer and name the img file.

How can we do that in armbian at least the easy way? 

Why we can view raspbian image's folder from window? What I understand is linux use ext4 file format which window cannot recognise as with armbian sd card?

Many Many thanks!! :)

In raspbian we put the image to sd card using win32diskimager. To backup the sd card we can just read the data back to computer and name the img file.

Same with any other OS image on any SD card. You just have to ensure that you copy the whole device and not just single partition contents. Exactly the same applies to Raspbian OS images, they contain one small FAT partition that's needed since every RPi can only boot in a crappy way (its VideoCore VPU/GPU can only deal with FAT16/FAT32 and reads proprietary firmware stuff and settings from there) and a larger ext4 partition. Only by making a device copy you get both partitions and partition table and will be able to write your cloned image back to another SD card.

BTW: Making a whole device image isn't the best method available. You might want to use forum search (just use the subject line you chose for your new issue as search terms) in case you're interested.

well, thats a good question anyway. But, how do you save and archive your Windows system, your ISP Box HD, your phone, your micro-oven firmware ?

The systens are today [auto]-updated more rapidly than you can do full archive of modified system. The caches grows and sature your disks, the system can break anytime due to updates. Progressive archives are not easy to manage and resoring is even more difficult

So if you dont do anything usefull with it, there is no point to save or archive anything. If you store document, media, program sources, do it in user directory or a network share and save it every day. If you spend days or month on a project, then reject updates, archive the installed system, the boot block and part table (1st Mb of SD card), the insallation image, acquire hardware replacement parts and document in electronic and paper format every single hardware and software step necessary to restore your project when it will crash in 3 years and you will have completely forgotten how it could work.

If someone has a better answer (excluding the installation of a noisy rack of Terabytes disks - and daily work), I am interested.

they contain one small FAT partition that's needed since every RPi can only boot in a crappy way (its VideoCore VPU/GPU can only deal with FAT16/FAT32 and reads proprietary firmware stuff and settings from there) and a larger ext4 partition. 

Ah i see, that make sense now. I also managed to backup the card using the gparted thing.

What I find the Allwinner H3 is a bit faster than the broadcom one from Pi3. The gpu from OPi is also the same as what I use from my phone, meaning that it could run 3d games. Yet the price of Opi PC is fraction the cost of RPi3, wondered how RPi survive... Possibly a bigger community?