Using the multitool to backup the whole system and restore it in new box

ccs1664

Hi Jock (Paolo)

I had sent a private message, but later I saw many messages from Charles Bauer, heading  a project where I am also involved.

Here, we are receiving some hundreds of TV BOX, MXQ PRO, model 3228A (probably 1 of RAM and 8 of ROM) and with the task to transform it
a Linux machine. Well, this task requires some scalability to do this conversion following a methodology. What I had thought:

1. Install  the ARMBIAN  in one these box, and configure it with all desired customizations

2. Do a back-up of this box using the Multitool (option for backup)
    I saw that the Multitool did a copy of whole eMMC (or NAND) memory... resulting in a file without extension of 7,8G (around this )
    My supposition  about this backup option, it generates  a whole image of this TV BOX,  and ready to be replicated in another similar box???
    Am I right?

3. Using the restore option, I choose this file to burn news TV BOX.  Am I correct in my reasoning?

Is there another stractegy to replicate a configuration in hundred of box?

Unfortunately, I can not do a dd from another Linux machine, using a male-to-male USB, once the MXQ PRO, with any powering in usb it boots!!!!

Any tips to replicate a hundred of  TVBOX in customized ARMBIAN? Am I correct to install the backup, an image, by restore with Multittol?
How can I copy with dd all the system from a TVBOX with Rockchip 322X ... it simply boots connecting any male-to-male  USB cable

Cheers in advance

claudio

PS: this project has some support of Brazillian governament 

Late response. 

In theory. I think you're on te right track.

The backup in multitool does a raw copy, sector by sector, of the eMMC, so... theoretically.

1. Install Armbian to eMMC and configure it to your liking
  2. Take a backup of the eMMC with multitool.
  3. Start the next box with multitool and "restore" the backup from the first box.

It could work. The problem with TV-boxes though, is that sometimes(or even often), even if they are named the same and look the same, there can be different hardware in them. Probably what was cheapest at the time of production. Other potential issue I see, even if they are 100% identical, would be the hostname. That might be needed to set manually on all boxes. For example "RK3228-Box"(if that was the original hostname) had to be set to "RK3228-Box-1","RK3228-Box-2", etc. Otherwise the network might get confused.

Then again, if you have hundreds of them. You could experiment a bit. It wouldn't be a total loss if a few of them died during experimentation.